Banana Wine

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Banana Wine

Post by fabindia »

I can't remember if I posted about the mango wine I made in India. Gujarat where we lived is a dry state and so you cannot go out and just buy booze. Mangoes were so cheap in season, so mango wine seemed a good idea. It was drinkable, though it probably would have done with being allowed to mature for a bit longer.

Moving on Thailand, we have a glut of bananas and even have big bunches in our garden where we stay (fresh bananas for breakfast is another story) and so I am thinking of making some banana wine. Should be easy enough but I have lost my airlock si just considering how to improvise.

Will let you know how I get on.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Banana Wine

Post by albertajune »

I've never heard of banana wine but why not! Have many times in the past made banana chutney which is really tasty.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

unusual ... so had to google and there's loads including recipes, even a page in Wikipedia. You'll have to let us know how it turns out )t'
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Love your reference to Wikipedia Lancashire Lass, though I am not making on the same scale as Banana Investment Ltd :-D

My attempt does appear to be coming on well. It looks as if it has stopped fermenting now and I have had a quick taste and already it is pretty good. Need to siphon off into a new container next and let all the sediment settle again.

Will keep you all posted with progress.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Siphoned off into a clean container today and will let it settle again for a couple of days before bottling.

Had a little taste - very alcoholic and a definite taste of bananas but certainly not unpleasant.
Michael