Butterfly Pea Flowers

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Butterfly Pea Flowers

Post by fabindia »

I had never come across them before, though apparently you can buy them online.

You can use them to make a type of tea or as food colourant. I have found a local source out here in Thailand - what I mean by that is a bush near by that is covered in flowers. I picked some this morning and put them in a little alcohol that has now turned a dark blue colour. Going to use it to make purple ginger beer (up to 6.5% alcohol).
Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Butterfly Pea Flowers

Post by lancashire lass »

.... you know I had to look it up LOL - in Wikipedia, it tells you about its colour effects when the pH is changed from blue to purple, to pink and even red. Your ginger beer might turn a shade pink (due to the presence of carbon dioxide during fermentation) so you'll have to let us know how it goes )t'

The origins of the plant's latin name is er interesting .... Wikipedia
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I must say Michael that you are always doing something interesting. Can the colour be used for anything else?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

lancashire lass wrote:. Your ginger beer might turn a shade pink

Yes, the Youtube video I watched about making the ginger beer showed it to be more purple than blue. I'll post a picture of it when I do get round to making some.

albertajune wrote:Can the colour be used for anything else?

Certainly they make tea from it here and it can be added to cocktails.

The bush I found has got some seed pods on it so I might try planting a few of its peas and see if I can grow my own plant.
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Looking at the latin name (I had to use the wiki link too, thanks LL) - does that mean Wendy can boast being married to one of the few men who know where it is? Even if he did have to go to Thailand to find it!

It sounds like a really fascinating plant, and I'd be really interested to hear how it goes. Does the tea have a distinctive taste or is it used just for the colour change effect?
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Freeranger wrote:Looking at the latin name (I had to use the wiki link too, thanks LL) - does that mean Wendy can boast being married to one of the few men who know where it is? Even if he did have to go to Thailand to find it!

Lol - don't know about that :oops:
Michael