Braving yesterdays rain free weather

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Braving yesterdays rain free weather

Post by Dorrens daughter »

I took a walk to the family allotment (which due to having a knee replacement last November I've sadly neglected this year) and harvested the onions before they began to rot in the ground and are now drying on the kitchen table. Courgettes only one plant this year but its the gift that keeps on giving, pears and plums. So yesterday I made 9 jars of plum jam and 3 jars of plum chutney all of which are waiting to be labelled and stored for future use. Now I need to harvest the rest of the plums to make wine with and await the main apple and pear harvest.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Braving yesterdays rain free weather

Post by albertajune »

All sounds good )like( When OH was here, he had an allotment and we had a plum and damson tree which I looked forward to fruiting each year. I made jam and chutney but never wine from these fruits, just the odd bottle of damson gin. Did make other wines. Looking forward to seeing a pic of it when made and ready and glad your knee is better.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Will post a picture when TB husband shows me how.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My plums were few this year, and only 5 greengages. My daughter had to use the wild greengage (a sucker from the rootstock?) for her crumble - it doesn't compare with the real Cambridge Gage for taste or texture so I don't usually pick it.
Good to have a crop of anything that you've harvested. I'm picking apples now.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

We had very few plums last year but this years crop has been great same story regarding apples and pears. The root crop harvest has been very bad this year due to lack of rain and loads of sunshine. I took a photo of the preserves but for some reason am not able to post it.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Welcome to DTL DD - with the price of food expected to go up in the coming weeks, growing your own and preserving food might be a blessing. Sounds like you are very busy!

Dorrens daughter wrote:I took a photo of the preserves but for some reason am not able to post it.

Not sure if you are aware but you'll need to open a photo sharing account like imgbox or Flickr (but please don't use Photobucket!), upload photo (you might need to make the photo size smaller but see what happens first) then click on the "share" button, copy the URL address in the top bar (check for the normal size picture not the thumbnail otherwise you'll end up with a postage stamp photo) then paste in your DTL post. It's easy once you get used to it )t'

I have a number of fruit trees in my garden - some are doing better than others depending on when they were in blossom, and I think had a lot to do with a cold early spring - flowers were out but either the nights were too cold or too cold for the pollinators.
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Thanks to TB I've now got all my photos off my mobile and on my PC but still cannot transfer them on to here.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have had hardly any plums this year and I have2 trees.

To post photo's you have to go through an app, or whatever. https://imgbox.com is what I use now. But never easy for me. Always hit and miss. >coc<
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning