Sun dried tomatoes - Advice needed

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Sun dried tomatoes - Advice needed

Post by fabindia »

I have made some sun dried tomatoes but not too sure how they will turn out. They look OK - see picture below - but we will have to wait for a while to sample the results.

Anyway, a couple of things I can't quite make out after reading loads of sometimes conflicting information on the internet.

1. How dry is 'dry'?
I take it they shouldn't be as hard a concrete but on the other hand I did notice the tendency to go moldy if not dry enough.

2. Should I boil them in a dilute vinegar solution?
Seems to be the way Italians make them. Any experience?

3. How long before you can eat them?
I have bottled our in olive oil along with some garlic cloves, oregano and just a couple of whole green chillies to add a little warmth. But does storing them longer add to the flavour?

Michael
manda

Re: Sun dried tomatoes - Advice needed

Post by manda »

Michael did you heat the oil / garlic before hand? There is something about needing to heat oil to ensure you reduce risks of botulism or add vinegar to change the Ph both of which will kill the botulinum....don't know quantities though.

I've made them without adding anything else...dried them, then dipped the dried tomatoes into white wine vinegar before putting them in a jar with the oil - so it will acidify the oil, and (hopefully) discourage bacteria and mold growth.
Fill jar with vinegar-dipped dried tomatoes then put more oil in to cover the tomatoes.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny