Pastry

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Pastry

Post by Freeranger »

Does anyone know how to store pastry goods so that they don;t go soggy?
I have recently been taught to make absolutely banging shortcrust pastry that is amazingly crisp and crumbly in texture (all credit belongs to teacher). A day later it's limp and almost soggy.
It goes back to its shortness when heated through, but that's not always practical.
Is there a better way to store it to retain the crumbly texture?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Pastry

Post by Mo »

Not sure, but pastry crumb (before adding liquid) and crumble topping keep well in the fridge.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Mo wrote:Not sure, but pastry crumb (before adding liquid) and crumble topping keep well in the fridge.

They also keep well in the freezer.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks, ladies - both useful to know.
I make pies and quiches occasionally because they're both good ways of stretching meat rations and using up leftovers. They're too big to eat in one go for two of us so I use them across a few days. They're great the first day and if I reheat from the freezer, but any subsequent days not frozen are less appealing.
manda

Post by manda »

Just saw this and don't know if you've tried putting things inside a paper bag to help keep the crust. Keep them at room temperature to prevent condensation so that they don't soften. If you want to keep for longer (say up to 5 days) then seal the paper bag inside a plastic storage bag. and squeeze out as much air as you can from inside the plastic bag.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

No I hadn't tried that, Manda, as I'd never heard of it before but certainly will be giving it a try. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
A particular bugbear is soggy stuff in shops & cafes that has been stored in plastic wrapping in the chillers. I think by law they have to, but yeuch.