Have you stocked up just in case?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Have you stocked up just in case?

Post by fabindia »

There is no guarantee that anywhere in UK could not find itself in lock down again, so without going stupidly over the top, we have stocked up on a few basics, a big bag of rice, a few packs of pasta, a few tin of tomatoes and lots of chickpeas and lentils for protein. Also, we bought a few bags of flour.

The trick will be to use these up gradually before they go out of date and then replenish.

No stocking loo rolls though - I am sure we can get by :-)
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Have you stocked up just in case?

Post by Mo »

fabindia wrote:T

No stocking loo rolls though - I am sure we can get by :-)

Dock leaves? Or this, bought or home-made

I always keep a stock-cupboard, with most things at least one full, one in use. Bread and milk in freezer. I don't like 'going shopping' so in other times I'd call in at the local Co-op, and do an occasional late night supermarket swoop on the way home from dance club. I've had 2 online deliveries since this started and the only thing I ran out of was SR flour. Even baking powder was out of stock, but just as I used my last SR my daughter found baking powder in Co-op. The later Grandson knocked, gleefully holding a bag of SR.If it stays as local lock downs I don't think flour will be as much of a problem, but good idea to keep a spare. Now I'm doing my own shopping, combining 3 mile exercise with a weekly rucksack full of whatever I'm short of.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

We look likely, we're in an area that is spiking. I just bought a big pack of loo roll as we were running out, and I've got a little stockpile of pasta & rice anyway (anticipating issues with stock delivery come Brexit no deal) and thanks to my Floury Godmother I have a nice load of flour in. Hopefully everything else wil be okay - i am hoping we don't see ridiculous panic buying like we did back in March. Flour has only just started appearing again in my local supermarkets!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I am not stocking up but make sure I always have one back up of essential goods. I only have shopping delivered every 2 weeks so don't want to run out. Some tinned goods are still hard to get in my local supermarket.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Isn't it ridiculous that we even have to think of these things, in this day & age? Still, it's a valuable lesson just precarious our food (& essential goods) supply chains can be really.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Partly due to 'efficiency experts' with the 'just in time' theory. There needs to be some slack in the system if it is to cope.
And partly because that's life. and in the long run it catches up with us.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Funny enough I was only thinking about getting some stuff in "just in case". Unlike earlier in the year when the impact of the lock down was due mainly to uncertainty of how the virus spreads, I think targeted areas will quickly be restricted with very little notice when case numbers start to spike. So it makes sense to do some stocking up - bog rolls are definitely on my shopping list this time round LOL!

I also think the price of food will start to climb too - this tends to be normal during any recession but the global impact of the pandemic means a lot of stuff we'd normally import might become restricted as their economies are affected. And then there's Brexit (a conveniently forgotten subject in the current crisis) .... the current deal with the EU will end in just a few short months time and that in itself will have a knock on affect on goods brought into the UK.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Indeed LL, a no deal Brexit is going to create some supply chain issues there's no doubt about that, on top of issues that the pandemic will cause too. I'd already been putting aside some staples anticipating some shortages in the short term, like pasta and such, even before the virus hit. I think we are in for some more shocks come next year, with spikes, local lockdowns/a second wave and Brexit. It's going to be tough, and we will all have to learn to change our expectations about what we can buy. I think we've gotten so used to buying produce out of season, and having limitless supplies on shelves that we are in for a rude awakening soon, but not as rude as it could have been as the pandemic has given us a hint.
Karen
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

KarenE wrote:we are in for a rude awakening soon, but not as rude as it could have been as the pandemic has given us a hint.

I agree - although shelves in the supermarkets were stripped bare in mid-March, that was down to panic buying and the whole transport system unable to cope with resupplying stocks. With Brexit looming (we didn't know whether it was going to happen straight away or some other determined date down the line as it was all left to last minute), many suppliers had already been stocking up on some items in anticipation of disruption but with lock down, the shopping habits radically changed as people were suddenly limited to their local supermarkets (that is, those people who might have had regular take-away or gone out for meals more often than most had no option but to start cooking at home and that shifted the demand. Sadly, the big suppliers to restaurants/take away seemed unable to shift their food stocks and actually disposed of it. Hopefully some were able to give to charities but it's not how I remember it)
GalebG4M
Learner Laner

Post by GalebG4M »

On one hand, I've got a solid (ish) reserve of rice, pasta, tins and other shelf stable food.
On the other hand, tap water isn't drinkable where I live now and I have to buy bottled water or rely on boiling water at home, and I drink it faster than it can cool down, so that's pretty much useless.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

lancashire lass wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 09:48 I also think the price of food will start to climb too - this tends to be normal during any recession but the global impact of the pandemic means a lot of stuff we'd normally import might become restricted as their economies are affected. And then there's Brexit (a conveniently forgotten subject in the current crisis) .... the current deal with the EU will end in just a few short months time and that in itself will have a knock on affect on goods brought into the UK.
KarenE wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 12:12 Indeed LL, a no deal Brexit is going to create some supply chain issues there's no doubt about that, on top of issues that the pandemic will cause too
Now that Brexit is occupying the news time more than the pandemic, it would seem the idea of food shortages from the EU and price hikes is not that far fetched after all. I think I might get some extra dried and tinned foods which I use a lot of, just in case ...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Just had a delivery via my daughter who has a regular Tesco order. Stocked up on 'essentials' so now my shelves are full of sultanas and chocolate biscuits, and some cooking fat in the fridge. And a nice crisp bunch of celery - I've not bought that for ages as the last one was all brown (not sure where I got that from).
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

You really couldn't make this up could you? Four and a half years after the Brexit referendum, followed quickly by the resignation of David Cameron, we still don't know where we are. So now we have the boss of Tesco's saying there may well be food shortages in the New Year at the same time the British navy is readying war ships to fight off foreign fishing boats.

As a result, come 2021 we may well have no French wine or cheese, no soft fruits and lemons from Spain, no Danish bacon or German sausages and beer. On the other hand we may be well placed when it comes to fish and chips.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think personally that the boss of Tesco is totally out of order making that statement.
My stand on this now is, so what if we have not got items of food from other countries, we will survive. My motto is if you have eggs and a bag of potatoes then you can always make a meal, maybe not the best meal in the world, but a meal non the less. We will all have to adapt to what we can get.
I stopped ages ago with the 'what if's' regarding Brexit.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Brexit is not the only reason why there will be food shortages. There are three crop growing countries in the world who are unable to grow enough to feed their own people, or to export, due to changes in the weather. China are buying up all the soya they can get hold of, a soya shortage will affect everyone, it's in almost everything.

Ask yourself why food factories are being closed because of so called positive covid testing among the workers. Animals are also declared positive. The PCR testing is not reliable.

Leaving the EU is only a drop in the ocean where food shortages are concerned. Look at the bigger picture, everything that is going on is linked. Do your research, try iceagefarmer to learn about food shortages. We must all start growing our own vegetables.

ilona