Indian Vegan 'omelette'

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Indian Vegan 'omelette'

Post by fabindia »

I am strict vegetarian (my wife Wendy is mainly vegetarian but does eat meat and fish occasionally). I do eat dairy and eggs however and so am not vegan. In India, where many people are vegetarian, people didn't think I was a proper vegetarian as we do eat eggs, whilst many Indian vegetarians won't eat eggs. In fact, one of the girls in our local shop wouldn't even touch the box of eggs we bought as she rang them into the till.

But back to the title of this thread. This morning we had Indian Vegan Omelettes for breakfast. Simple enough to make but not every kitchen has the ingredients. Basically, you finely chop a few vegetables (a little onion, tomato, mushrooms) and make a batter using chickpea flour (Besan flour) together with turmeric, chilli powder, and black pepper. Then you spoon a little of the batter into a hot frying pan - and that's it.

Not exactly like an egg omelette but just the same nice with a creamy taste with a hint of spices.
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Indian Vegan 'omelette'

Post by Freeranger »

These sound interesting.
It wasn't completely clear from your post what went into the batter so I had a wee scout around online to find recipes for them and a few other things with chickpea (gram?) flour. We're reducing carbs, hence the pitas and interest in the chickpea.
Although not veggie, I don't have a problem with eggs in a vegetarian diet as they are laid whether you eat them or not, but without toast or cereals we personally eat an awful lot of eggs, so an alternative is welcome.
The recipes I found use some nutritional yeast for B12 but "largely for the savoury flavour". Do you use it at all? Wondering whether vegemite might serve the same purpose? Is it necessary at all?
Thanks.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Freeranger wrote:I don't have a problem with eggs in a vegetarian diet as they are laid whether you eat them or not

Totally agree. Our hens (when we kept them) just laid eggs and wandered off and didn't give a second thought to their eggs - except when they became broody.

Here's a link to the recipe I used for our vegan omelettes. https://holycowvegan.net/eggless-vegetable-omelet-besan-chilla/ it says makes 11 but I only got half a dozen. Maybe I got the quantities wrong - I am never happy with recipes that use 'cups' as a measure.

We have never used nutritional yeast though I have come across quite a few recipes that use it. I do make sure I eat Marmite every couple of days for an extra boost of B12. I had a test last year and was slightly B12 deficient but I just took a daily multi-vitamin pill and made sure I ate a little more Marmite and it soon came back to normal :-)
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks for this, Michael.
The recipe sounds good so I'll give it a try.
I couldn't really see what purpose the yeast was playing in the other recipes, so I'm pleased to know it's not necessary.