Half term meals.

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Half term meals.

Post by albertajune »

The sad thing is that if you showed some people a turnip or a swede they would have no idea what they are. Cheaper cuts of meat and root veg do take longer to cook but a lot can be cooked in one pan and then the excess frozen. I remember watching a TV program about how much food waste there is, from homes as well as supermarkets.I also remember that last year one of our German supermarkets sold large mixed boxes of fruit and mis shapen veg. Not many sold. People might be hard up, they are also extremely fussy.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Just had an advert pop up on my FB page. including a picture of sign saying
Essential Waitrose Varity Crisps.

Grrr!!!

Luxury maybe. Unnecessary salt probably. Essential never.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

albertajune wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 11:52 I just wish that cookery lessons were still given in schools. People have lost the art of making a hearty meal for a family.........

I do feel sorry for the kiddies that are going without today but it need not happen with a little more knowledge of basic cooking.

I agree June - I think it's such a shame that food tech/home economics (I think it was when I was at school) is no longer on the curriculum. There is the obvious of teaching skills and understanding where food actually comes from that kids might otherwise not get but the other thing is the potential to fall in love with everything food and not just the mechanics of it's production and cooking.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

manda wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 08:58
albertajune wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 11:52 I just wish that cookery lessons were still given in schools. People have lost the art of making a hearty meal for a family.........

I do feel sorry for the kiddies that are going without today but it need not happen with a little more knowledge of basic cooking.

I agree June - I think it's such a shame that food tech/home economics (I think it was when I was at school) is no longer on the curriculum. There is the obvious of teaching skills and understanding where food actually comes from that kids might otherwise not get but the other thing is the potential to fall in love with everything food and not just the mechanics of it's production and cooking.
We called it "housecraft" when I was in school (overseas) - it wasn't just about being able to cook but also how to do budgets (know your essential monthly outgoings, and plan for other expenditure like clothes and household purchases), nutrition and good practice (such as hygiene like refrigeration / food safe to eat before "Best before" labels became a thing, and menu planning) I learned basic cooking like how to make pastry (I have to confess that I would never make flaky pastry by hand ever again after that and would opt for ready made LOL) and cakes, different types of meals and so on but I think I learned more about family meal preparation from my mother. Which makes it sad to think there is a generation out there who probably don't have a role model at home to teach them those skills.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

When my children were little, I received national assistance, due to family breakdown, and I managed, because as a family, my parents were careful managers, and I had been taught to be sensible with money. A magazine was a luxury, the odd dance, and pictures a treat.

My Grandmother who was with us at a weekend taught me to make Yorkshire puddings, and when I moved into a flat at twenty one, my flat mate and I learned to cook!!! Our meals were simple, cauliflower or leek cheese, half a shoulder of lamb on a Sunday, on our limited income, but anyone can learn to cook, there is an abundance of cookery programmes on TV, some beyond belief, but some showing good and wholesome meals.

I cannot understand this society.
manda

Post by manda »

Spreckly wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 10:49 ......My Grandmother who was with us at a weekend taught me to make Yorkshire puddings, and when I moved into a flat at twenty one, my flat mate and I learned to cook!!! Our meals were simple, cauliflower or leek cheese, half a shoulder of lamb on a Sunday, on our limited income, but anyone can learn to cook, there is an abundance of cookery programmes on TV, some beyond belief, but some showing good and wholesome meals.
I cannot understand this society.
Neither can I Spreckly but then I suppose that most of us on the Lane are here because we like home made and trying to be different from the throw away culture that dominates now. My only hope is that more will find the Lane and use the knowledge that's written here and use the WWW to seek out more information. Cookery just being one topic but all the other budgeting / savings tips etc that are out there.
lancashire lass wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 10:14 We called it "housecraft" when I was in school (overseas) - it wasn't just about being able to cook but also how to do budgets (know your essential monthly outgoings, and plan for other expenditure like clothes and household purchases), nutrition and good practice (such as hygiene like refrigeration / food safe to eat before "Best before" labels became a thing, and menu planning) I learned basic cooking like how to make pastry (I have to confess that I would never make flaky pastry by hand ever again after that and would opt for ready made LOL) and cakes, different types of meals and so on but I think I learned more about family meal preparation from my mother. Which makes it sad to think there is a generation out there who probably don't have a role model at home to teach them those skills.
All those skills lost and if the children don't learn them when they have homes of their own then who will pass them on to future generations.....

.....and I would only make flaky pastry now if I was absolutely forced to ....to me it's a bit like ironing I don't do that either as I don't want to do something and watch my life passing me by ...and yet thinking about it I spent hours the other day making Orechietti (pasta) because I was just in "that" mood {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny