Is there a 'season' for celery?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

Is there a 'season' for celery?

Post by Mo »

Got a really nice one today
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Is there a 'season' for celery?

Post by lancashire lass »

There are different types of celery which can be grown all year round, but I think the ones lifted up in autumn / winter are "seasonal" (I like a bit of celery in soups and stews which I probably eat in the colder months. I'm not fond of eating it raw)

Did you know celery is good for lowering blood pressure (celery seed are supposed to be better)?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, I looked online but all I found was adverts for supermarkets and growing instructions saying harvest Aug - Oct. I've no idea how commercial celery differs from ordinary (home grown).
I like it both in cooked and raw. Usually stick it in a jug of water and munch it for lunch or boil it as a veg. And when it goes floppy I cook whatever's left and freeze in small cups (washed disposable coffee cups).

Not sure what made me think of buying some, haven't bothered for ages and there's none in the freezer. Last lot I bought was brown inside the stalks, and the one before that went brown quite quickly.

Somehow I expected that if anyone knew / could find out, it would be LL
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 21:20 I've no idea how commercial celery differs from ordinary (home grown).
It's possible celery is grown all year round in commercial greenhouses or is imported. Home grown - there are 2 main types: the one most gardeners know about is grown in trenches and this is back-filled to "blanch" the stalk, the other is not but grown closer together so that the plants shade their neighbours from direct sunlight to the stalk. I found the ones grown at soil level were greener and the stem tough - plenty of flavour for stews but not all that good for eating raw (although there's always someone who says otherwise)

I like a couple of stalks finally minced up and added to the tomato sauce for a spaggy bol / chilli - the hint of celery really enhances the flavour of the tomato.
manda

Post by manda »

I love celery...cooked and raw. Raw I like to smear some peanut butter in the concave side ...delicious. I also love celery hearts steamed and either eaten just like that or with cheese sauce on them
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That sounds good. I can eat cheese with anything.