Granary bread flour

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
elljay
Lively Laner

Granary bread flour

Post by elljay »

Dear all, I love granary bread but it's really expensive to buy and so is granary flour. I normally make my bread and wonder where you can buy the mixed seeds and corn etc that I could add to normal flour. Has anyone seen such a thing? I'm sure it would work out cheaper than buying those silly little packs of granary flour.

At the moment I'm considering fighting the chicks for a bit of their poultry corn!

Thanks
Liz
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

What you could do is add seeds - I always add pumpkin and sunflower to my bread but of course there are many more such as caraway, sesame, poppy etc etc.

Helen
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Have you tried a half and half mix with wholemeal bread flour? Would be cheaper but not quite so grainy?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

kate egg wrote:Have you tried a half and half mix with wholemeal bread flour? Would be cheaper but not quite so grainy?

Just came back to edit my post to include this suggestion but you were too quick for me Kate!!! :-D

Helen
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
wendy

Post by wendy »

I always use half white and half wholemeal. We like the results. But we do love granary bread. Never thought of trying to make it. Maybe I should have a go.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

what about a health food shop?
They usually sell nuts/seeds etc, if you eat it regulalry, it might be worth buying a few packets of things and mixing up an addition for yourself.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
elljay
Lively Laner

Post by elljay »

Thanks everyone. Yes when I make it I usually do half and half, or some sort of similar mixture, whatever I have in really. I'll have a look for some cheapish bags of seeds/nuts, those in the co-op are tiny and would work out costing more than the granary flour. Have also seen a suggestion to add malt extract or molasses which sounds pretty scrummy too. Thanks for the ideas.

Liz
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

i always do half and half wholemeal..will try granery

sounds good )t'

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

I would suggest replacing 2 teaspoons of water with olive oil for a different texture and flavour.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
manda

Post by manda »

I usually put in a mix of pumpkin, sunflower, poppy and sesame seeds and a handful of porridge oays ( the quick cook ones) add them after the yeasts been activated and you are doing the 10 minute knead. The oats are good because they hold in moisture and keep the bread springy.
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

4 french hens wrote:I would suggest replacing 2 teaspoons of water with olive oil for a different texture and flavour.

Mike

I always put about an ounce of butter in (breadmaker recipe) but I will try the olive oil instead, sounds interesting )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

I only use olive oil.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

me too...only olive oil

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx