Cooking Squash

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Cooking Squash

Post by 4pigs »

Hello
I've been given a large squash and not sure what to do with it. I'm thinking of using it to make soup then I can freeze some of it? Anybody got any suggestions? What have you done with them please?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Cooking Squash

Post by lancashire lass »

Do you know what type of squash it is? Is it a summer squash (like courgette / baby marrow which in effect is just a courgette which has just got too big but not quite mature enough to store over winter) or winter squash (like a pumpkin or butternut) Summer squashes are very watery so taste different to winter squashes. Winter squash flesh tend to be denser and have more flavour (some taste nutty, others can be sweet) which is why they can be used in all sorts of cooking. There are lots of different types of winter squashes - some are better roasted, some microwaved like a potato or can be baked (into a sweet pie) and others can be just boiled like a vegetable. If you know the name of the winter squash, it would help to know the best way to get the most of it.

I know you mentioned it was a big squash so for now I'm guessing it is a type of pumpkin? I know the hot weather this year has helped a lot of warm loving squash plants to grow and the fruits have probably matured earlier than usual. Most squashes don't get harvested until well into September and October. Let's presume it is a pumpkin for now.

Remove the skin (take care as it can be tough) and the seeds and then dice the flesh into cubes roughly about an inch square. You can microwave or boil the flesh in a minimal amount of water until the flesh is soft when using a knife to pierce. Gem squashes (about the size of an orange) are great sliced in half (that is, the skin is kept intact) and popped into a pan of boiling water like you would other vegetables. Cook until the flesh is soft, drain off the water then scoop out the seeds. You can either scrape the flesh out onto the plate or serve the halved squash on the plate with the rest of the meal - add a knob of butter and pepper and mash the flesh inside the skin. Roasting is easy - cut into chunks (skins included) and spread out onto a baking tray. Drizzle some oil over the top before popping into the oven.

To make a soup, you'll need to remove the skin and seeds and add other ingredients and cook until the flesh of the squash breaks down and blends and thickens the water used (you don't need to use a blender / liquidizer) Avoid adding too much water to the pan when cooking otherwise it can make it too thin. Add whatever vegetables you like - maybe diced onion and pepper, chopped tomatoes, a drained can of sweetcorn or beans, and don't forget to add a bit of salt and pepper. Squash are great when spiced up - a bit of chilli or curry flavourings go really well. You can use a liquidizer to blend other vegetables if you wanted or simply leave them chunky.

Personally, I like to use a winter squash (like butternut) as one of the ingredients rather than as the main ingredient to soups and stews. For example, if I'm making a hash, I'll dice the squash into smaller pieces so that as they cook in the pan with all the other ingredients (onion, carrot, peas, potatoes, diced meat etc), the flesh breaks down and helps to naturally thicken the soup / hash / stew and adds a subtle flavour.

Another fave of mine are pumpkin fritters. Cook the squash and drain off the water (use a colander or sieve as you want to remove as much water as possible and leave it until the cooked squash is cold) then mash the flesh. Make a batter (Yorkshire batter consistency) and add the mashed squash and mix well. Use a dessert spoon to measure the thickened batter mix and put into hot oil (deep fat fryer) and cook until golden brown. Remove / drain and then roll into a sugar and cinnamon mixture and serve like a sweet finger food or in bowl with a caramel topping and served with ice cream. You could try different spice mixtures instead for a savoury dish rather than serve as a sweet.

I've never frozen winter squash because normally you can store them (over winter - hence the name) in a cool, dry place (preferably not in the kitchen where it can be humid) until needed. You do need to check on them regularly - if you start to see any deterioration, they need to be used up as soon as possible. Cut off any part that has gone off but the rest of it should be fine to use (the flesh should still be firm and not discoloured or mouldy) You mention you have a big squash - if you can't use it up over the week or two (you can store the rest in a fridge like you might any other vegetable), then by all means freeze it. Simply cut the pieces into inch cube size, spread out on a baking tray with something like grease-proof paper and pop into a freezer. Once frozen, bag up and just use what you need for cooking as and when you like.
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Thank you so much for giving me a comprehensive answer. It's quite large and round - bigger than a football and its orange (like a pumpkin). I suspect that from what you've written it may have been harvested too early. I'm going to cook with it this afternoon and you've helped so much with more ideas. Thank you again x
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

)t' good luck

When I first looked at getting an allotment plot, the main reason was to grow winter squashes and pumpkins because they do need lots of space to grow. Every year I would grow a few different varieties and gradually built up an idea of the ones I liked for cooking. I've since given up the plot but I did keep a photographic record in my diary (click on the link to take you to the page in the diary). I'm not sure if you can see the photos as Photobucket started to charge for the privilege (which I opted not to use) so the photos uploaded to the diary don't work for some people (there is a way round it - this link in the Forum How to's section tells you how to do it)

If you ever get into cooking with pumpkins and winter squashes, as I mentioned before, the different varieties have different flavours and textures. Sometimes you see them sold in the supermarket but unfortunately the variety is not labelled and usually just listed as "winter squash".

I can highly recommend Crown Prince (grey mottled skin but when sliced open, has bright orange dense flesh) for soups. Queensland is another as is Blue Hubbard. Turks Turban looks pretty but it didn't make for a good cooking squash. You might see an acorn type called Celebration - they have surprisingly sweet flesh and makes a lovely side vegetable dish or in a soup. I once grew a variety called Potimarron which matured earlier than most other squashes and the flavour was really lovely. I learned that Potimarron is also known as Uchiki kuri or Red kuri. One variety called "Thelma Sander's sweet potato matured very early - it didn't taste like a sweet potato but the flesh was dry - sliced in half and microwaved then a knob of butter and some pepper and it could have made a good alternate to a baked potato (skin and all)

I'm not fond of using pumpkin for cooking as the other winter squashes (and butternut) have superior flavour. The big pumpkins that are sold in supermarkets for Halloween don't taste all that nice but are palatable when spiced up.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I quite like chunks of squash in with roasted vegetables, also nice in currys
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well the amazing squash pictures are still there, what a harvest.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Blame Masterchef for the idea which set me off wanting to try adding some fresh grated ginger and chopped chilli to a savoury dish. After googling recipes, I came across a few pumpkin / winter squash with the added ingredients. Last night I decided to give it a go (and tweaked the recipe to what I already had) So here is what I put into the pan:

Chicken breast cut into cube size - seasoned with a little pepper (you can add salt but I usually omit it in cooking) cooked in a little oil in the frying pan. Removed and used the same oil to cook the rest of the ingredients.

Onion, diced
Green pepper, chopped

Then added:

Red chilli (supermarket bought) finally diced
Piece of fresh ginger (about an inch lump) grated
Garlic crushed

Then added:

Winter squash / pumpkin diced into cubes
Parsnip (these were bought frozen - I thawed them out before chopping into pieces)
Sweet potato - diced
Spices - ground (just a 1/4 tsp each of cumin and coriander - I wasn't aiming for a curry but a hint of flavour)

After stirring the veg and spices with the rest in the frying pan, I added the cooked chicken and enough water (I boiled it in the kettle to reduce cooking time) to cover the veg. Online recipes suggested chicken or veg stock but I had none.

Variations to the basic recipe which goes well with winter squash include adding diced apple and cider, cinnamon, ground allspice, sage, lemon peel, celery and / or carrots. I suppose it depends on what you have available and what you like in whatever combination.

After simmering (lid on pan) until the veg were cooked, I added some noodles (I broke them up rather than leave them in long strands) to mop up some of the water / veg juices and thicken up. The original recipe suggested adding flour after adding the rest of the veg but I had set my mind on having noodles instead. Brought it up to a boil to cook the noodles and stirred to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan. Finally, a generous knob of butter and a little bit of milk to make it a little creamy. Again, a deviation from using cream or creme fraische which I didn't have.

Result: it was very nice but personally thought it seemed to be missing something but not quite sure what. Maybe apple? Or the stock? A bit of salt perhaps? The chilli gave it a hint of heat which I prefer, so if you want it hot, I suppose you could add more (or dried chilli flakes / chilli powder) I liked the parsnip and sweet potato (made it taste a little sweeter and went well in the dish) As for the ginger - I ended up with less grated ginger than what I'd started off with so I didn't get much flavour from it but what I did taste was nice. It wasn't a good grater so I might need to use something else. I wasn't keen on cutting it as I didn't want to bite into something with such a strong flavour.
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I like the sound of this recipe with its spicey flavours which I think go well with squashes. (I would also second your earlier recommendation for the variety Crown Prince - the best pumpkin for cooking in my view).