Vegetarian potato reciepes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Smallholderwannabe - can't believe you know Whitehead!!!!! How exciting!! When were you at the primary school? I went to Ballycarry primary but most of my family went to Whitehead PS - and my mum went to Whitehead High too. )ot:
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

saint-spoon wrote:Baked potatoes.

Put some potatoes in a moderate oven until cooked,
serve with cheese and butter.

a bit of potato based nostalgia.....

It used to be a tradition to cook and eat baked potatoes during the middle watch (midnight until 4am). We cooked them on the steam range and used to use whatever we had to liven them up baring in mind that we’re in an engine/boiler room and therefore didn’t have the facilities you’d find in a kitchen.

If you bake the potatoes in the oven you should get a lovely crisp skin. Whilst they are still hot slice each one in half and scoop out the cooked flesh being careful not to break the half shell of the potato.

To make the filling mix the cooked potato with anything you fancy and pop it back in the skin. Cheese, butter, chilli sauce and garlic mixed in with chopped tinned ham or luncheon meat, canned tuna or anything that’s to hand really it all works well but bear in mind that the garlic is still raw so go easy with it.

A poached and flaked fish fillet mixed in is lovely if you moisten the potato mix with some of the poaching liquid and add chopped parsley. (Top with cheese and place under the grill until bubbling if you’ve got one.)
Bah Humbug