Unexpected Consequences of Eating Veg

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Unexpected Consequences of Eating Veg

Post by chickenchaser »

I have just discovered that eating fresh, boiled beetroot makes your wee pink :oops:

I know asparagus can make it smell in certain people but are there any other veggies with unexpected after-effects?

I'm just asking as I hope to grow lots of fruit and veg on my allotment next year including things I have never tried (f+
Jackie xx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I almost made an appointment at my doctors this summer cos my wee had gone pinky red - I had been eating beetroot salad a la son of Morris (its yummy). I was getting really worried :?

Don't know of any other vegetable that has a simlar effect. (the only other thing I can think of is sweetcorn, when the kids were babies and had sweetcorn it used to come out the same the other end when I changed their nappies :oops: )
Dean H
Lively Laner

Post by Dean H »

Brussels sprouts - batten down the hatches, gale force phwoarr!!!
(P.S. do NOT drink Guinness....)
Dean.
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

You know when you ate chillies the day before too :shock:

Have I heard something about what happens if you eat a lot of peaches? Or am I thinking of a song :?

)ot: I found that if I ate melon when breast-feeding, it gave the babies upset tummies. They also smelled really garlicy the day after pizza night )t'
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

LOL Lots of veg will warm the fleas in bed notmee :oops:

The most obvious suspects are brussels, cabbage and caulis, but also leeks & onions, legumes such as beans & peas, and let's not forget jerusalem artichokes.

High fibre diet - as mentioned, sweetcorn but lots of fruit too especially peaches and apricots.

Garlic breath can be freshened by eating parsley BTW

Carrots don't make you see in the dark (this was a propaganda thing from WW2 that British pilots could see in the dark to bomb Germany ... I think. Must check that again ^b: )

The upside is knowing what you put in the ground and eating fresh fruit & veg straight from the plot into the pot (or salads as the case may be) )t'
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Done the beetroot thing, fascinating! The sweetcorn- why is that so, even when througly chewed? :shock:
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Chicken on the Hill wrote:Done the beetroot thing, fascinating! The sweetcorn- why is that so, even when througly chewed? :shock:

High fibre )t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Chicken on the Hill wrote:Done the beetroot thing, fascinating! The sweetcorn- why is that so, even when througly chewed? :shock:

I think that some sweetcorn kernels must get swallowed whole, and doesn't get broken down in the gut :)
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

Banana undergoes an astonishing transformation on its way through a baby - the nappies are full of black threads and dots. My health visitor said that she used to get mummies ringing her in a panic the day after after they'd fed their wee ones banana for the first time!

CA!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Banana undergoes an astonishing transformation on its way through a baby - the nappies are full of black threads and dots.

One banana bread recipe I use has quite a pale sponge and that is always full of black threads - nothing to do with nappies, honest :shock:
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
ntcrane
Learner Laner

Post by ntcrane »

lancashire lass wrote:
Carrots don't make you see in the dark (this was a propaganda thing from WW2 that British pilots could see in the dark to bomb Germany ... I think. Must check that again ^b: )

That is true - although it was about the fighter pilots and was to cover the fact that we were developing radar to shoot down the German bombers rather than chomping carrot sticks. It was also to persuade children to eat their veg as rationing was kicking in.

Never had the beetroot thing but asparagus aroma can be enjoyed for hours afterwards!
Niel