Dangerous recipies

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Dangerous recipies

Post by 4 french hens »

Secret Spells and Rotten Recipies

Those lovely folks in the Devon Record Office found these old rotten recipies and secret spells... just right for Halloween. DON'T try them at home though will you!!

Take half a pack of snails, crack up shells and take them out, put them into a gallon of spring water without washing,

Let them boil till 2 parts be consumed, then strain it off from the snails and put into it 3 quarts of new milk.

Let it boil till it be pretty thick, then put in 3 or 4 blades of mace and a small piece of Cinnamon. Let it boil up to an hour longer, then take it off and keep it for use.

Drinking a pint in the Morning fasting and as much at night before going to Bed.

This is very good in a Consumption.

Recipes and Cures Book
Devon Record Office 516M/F20

Another for ye tooth (ache)…

The powder of earth wormes, of mice dunge and of a hares tooth. Put into the hole of a rotten tooth and it will dropp out without any instrument.

Vol 1 Recipes (Early 18th Century)
Devon Record Office 56/17

The braine of a Pony is good against poison & the fatt against the harding of joints or sinews.

For Thamson Leverton on Saterday next being the 17th of this instant September, any time that day take about a pint of your owne urine aned make it almost scalding hot, then emtie it into a stone jugg with a narrow mouth then put into it so much white salt as you can take up with the thumb and two forefingers of your left hand and three new nails with their points downwards their points being first made very sharp, then stop the mouth of the jugg very close with a piece of tough cley and bind a piece of leather firm over the stop., then put the jugg into warm embers and keep him there 9 or 10 days and nights, following so that it go not stark cold all that meantime day nor night, and your private enemies will never after have any power upon you either in body of goods so be it.

Cornwall Record Office (ref X268/83)

This examinant saith that Rabidge the wife of Thomas Stokes, and Elizabeth the wife of Robart Moxie of Lympston aforesaid fell at controversy, and Jande the said Moxie his daughter hearing at the same time thereof by some children, said unto this examinant, and before others, that the said Stokes his wife was an unlucky woman, and was like a witch, for she was beetle-browed and flat footed, and that witches are so, and that the said Rabidge Stokes, her husband being at sea, and waiting somewhat longer then she expected, the said Stokes his wife: took a louse and hanged him up with a hair, and thereupon the wind did change, and her husband came home within two or three days...
[/b]
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Right, must try them.

Sound more appetising than HRW's description of broiler hens.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

LOL I think I'll give those a miss
Dean H
Lively Laner

Post by Dean H »

Hmmm! ...
School dinners were good were they not!
(f+ (f+ (f+
Dean.
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!