Sloe Gin

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
PK
Lively Laner

Sloe Gin

Post by PK »

I picked some sloe berries last December to make sloe gin. I had a taste yesterday - it was delicious. (It is not often that things in the culinary field work first time for me!). I will definitely do some more in the winter.
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Checked out the bushes from last year when I was out walking today. Nice crop for picking later in the autumn. :)
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

:-D :-D :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My daughter has been picking her damsons for damson gin, I make jam with mine.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Not with the Gin I hope Mo!!!

I've never tried it and there are loads of sloes round here. It's just I don't like Gin, makes me gag (sorry).

We can expect some slurry posts from PK then.

Is there anything else you can do with Sloes anyone?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I've not tried any of these myself (yet) but:-

Recipes from "Farmhouse Fare"

Sloe and Apple Jelly
Stew equal quantites of ripe sloes and green apples (skins and cores included) until soft, barely covering the fruit in the stew-pan with water. Strain through a jelly-bag. To each pint of juice add 1lb of sugar. Bring to the boil and boil until a little sets when tested. This jelly has a piquant flavour quite its own and is delicious with mutton, hare or rabbit

Sloe and apple cheese
Make exactly as previous recipe, but put fruit through a sieve when cooked instead of through a jelly-bag. Add 14 oz of sugar to each pint of pulp.

Sloe Jelly
3lb sloes (very ripe)
Sugar
1lb apples

Cover sloes and apples with water. Bring to boil and boil until fruit is soft. Strain. To every pint of liquid add 1 1/2 lbs sugar. Bring to boil. Boil gently until a trial sample skins over. Be careful not to boil too long, as the extra sugar may make the jelly sugary.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

sloes

Post by seahorse »

I made sloe gin a few years ago, unfortunately , I kept tasting it to see how it was coming on and ended up adding vodka etc. It was very nice and extremely flamable. Well, youve got to taste things havent you? Sloe vodka is gorgeous mmmmm hic! )c+ Annie.
Looove chucks!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Don't drink any spirits, just don't like the taste of any of them. Wine for me.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Sloe Gin

Post by AnnaB »

Made this in the past for Chris's mum when she was alive. I am the same as Richard I can't stand the smell of gin. These days tipple is red wine and indian beer!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I made Damson Gin last week - things sure are ripening early this year! Im going to decant them into pretty bottles and give them away as Yule gifts!!!!
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I've made sloe and apple jelly which tastes superb. I've also made elderberry and apple jelly and a small amount of elderberry chutney. I'm hoping to eat some of that and use the ones in pretty jars in Christmas hampers.

I made sloe gin a couple of years ago and have still not finished it. Richard I don't think it tastes anything like gin after taking on the fruit flavour. I like a little drop with some lemonade as it is a bit powerful on its own.
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

for a change try Sloe vodka! Simply add the sloes to vodka...and leave it. It is absolutely yummy!
Wendy (Chucky Egg)
jandy40
Learner Laner

Post by jandy40 »

Hi Richard i agree with smallholder that i don't like Gin but the Sloe Gin was very nice i got shop bought but i loved it & even had a taste from the past! I am not sure what of but it was very nice!

Andy (Jandy40) :-D
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Wendy...Richard I make sloe gin and i hate the taste of gin!!! The finished article doesn't taste of gin whatsoever or smell like it either. The key is to put plenty of sugar in it. I can only describe it as a sweet liqueur warming drink but it doesnt really taste alcoholic and defo doesn't taste of gin..go on give it a go :-D
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
Janet
Learner Laner

sloe gin

Post by Janet »

In reply to Richard about not liking gin. You can also make 'sloe vodka'. Apparently you just replace one with the other. I've not tried it yet but I'm giving it a go this year!