Pressure Cookers

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !

How many of you use a pressure cooker regularly

Poll ended at 30 Sep 2007, 12:25

Got one stuck in the cupboard never use it..
10%
Got one use it all the time..
10%
Got one use it occasionaly
10%
Don't have one
70%

Total votes: 10

Davina
Learner Laner

Pressure Cookers

Post by Davina »

I've been moaning about being a working mum and never getting dinner ready in time.. I've been told that pressure cookers are

easy to use
Fast
use less energy
preserve more vitamins in cooking

Before I lay out £50 of my hard earned cash to buy one I thought I'd get your thoughts?? Are they as usful as this lady says? I tend to cook everything from scratch as it tends to be cheaper and you know what your eating and love making stews its just the 3 hours in the oven that does me in..

Any views would be greatly appreciated.
ged
Lively Laner

food for thought

Post by ged »

:mrgreen:
Hi Davina,
personal fave of mine is a slow cooker,very economical,far less dangerous than a pressure cooker!
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Wow, I've just voted.
I've never been 100% of anything before!
My Mother-in law said I needed one so her mother provided one for a wedding present.
I used to use it to start the fruit for jams and marmalade, till they said 'don't use aluminium'
I still speed up my Christmas Puds in it.
Prefer to stew meat in the oven.
Can't do steamed puddings successfully in it or in a pan.

You need to replace the rubber ring from time to time - and if they change the model you may need an obsolete one (ask before you buy). If you drop the lid or pan and bend it slightly, it may not seal properly.
I suppose I don't use mine enough to search for the replacement ring, it seals - ish-.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Haven't got one at all and there's not choice in the poll for that!!!

If you're looking for a pressure cooker, why not register with your local freecycle and see if you can get one from there. It's really good and you can get hold off some good stuff - I managed to get some seed pots and trats recently - shared the rest with a couple of friends with greenhouses!!
Small steps lead to big changes
wendy

Post by wendy »

I haven't got one either, so can't vote LOL
I have to be honest and say when I used to go to my sister in law who used hers all the time, I wasn't over struck on the taste.
But I do have a slow cooker, but rarely see's the light of day. That may be a better choice, shove it in there before you go to work and hey presto! it is ready when you walk in the door.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Brilliant idea morph - put a 'wanted' on Freecycle and promise to pass it on to someone else if you find you're not using it.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Pressure Cookers

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Davina

Thanks for the poll but I don't have one either! I use a steamer not electric and it only uses one ring. You have to learn the cooking times of everything so know when to add each one. It is a double decker and has a bain marie which is useful for keeping things warm. Its gammon tonight and this will go into the water at the bottom.

I did try a pressure cooker years ago and didn't like it - too much messing about waiting for steam, weights, noise......
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

lol
i dont have one either! but my old boss used to swear by hers!
i have a slow cooker which is great for bunging it all in the night before or first thing in the morning and it all being ready for lunch or dinner next day! :-D
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I've never used one, don't want one either.

When I was working, I'd cook "the night before" so each night, dinner would be ready when I got home (unless it was something really quick) and I could get the next nights meal ready without the rush.

Slow cookers are great - if you're organised, but great results.

I do my stews on the stove top, everything browned off then onto a very low heat. From start to finish, takes about an hour, and the smell in the house reminds me of being a little kid sitting in my Nanna's kitchen :-D

cheers
Jodi
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

I hate pressure cookers with a deep seated passion. Comes from the time my mother used one constantly. She also had a passion for overcooking everything in them so washing them up ( it was my chore till I left home) was a total nightmare. Ive a 35 year old pressure cooker in the stable, never used, mother bought it for me as christmas present before I married!

Derra
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

I don't have one either. My my swears by hers but to be honest the noise scars me...just waiting for it to 'go off'
I'll stick with a big saucepan with everything in it together..
:)
Wendy (Chucky Egg)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hope you don't mind Davina, but added 'Don't have one'
Sure it was an oversight.

I've used them and found them excellant, just a bit cumbersum. Ged, agree with you, but scared I may get back late and find myself homeless!!

Thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Just remembered what I use mine for.
Boiling gammon joints.
But not worth buying one just for that and Christmas Puddings.
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

I used to have one and used it a lot. Have been thinking of getting another but when I looked at them they seem "new fangled" and it put me off. I was always wary of it, can remember my mum's blowing the safety vent when I was a child and the kitchen being spray painted with stew!
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Davina
Learner Laner

Thanks for that info

Post by Davina »

Looking at your responses I think it would be much safer for me to stick to the slow cooker that I already have and cooking stews and suchlike the night before.. I'm notorious for forgetting pans :oops: while going off to do exciting stuff like changing nappies or rocking and drooling in a corner for that spare 10 mins in a day!! I may try the stew in a pan...

Thank you so much for all your responses

Davina )c+