Coffee v Tea v Hot Chocolate

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
janinireland
Learner Laner

Post by janinireland »

Hi,
Just thought I'd pass this on re the tea thing. I am addicted to tea, Lyons Gold stuff in the red box. I started using tea-leaves because I developed an allegy to the bleach in the tea bags. It took me ages to discover why I kept getting mouth ulcers - it was the bleach. I now drink up to 6 cups of tea a day with no trouble, Bliss!
Best wishes
Janinireland.
janinireland
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm not allergic to it, but I hate the thought of putting bleached paper in something I'm going to drink.
janinireland
Learner Laner

Post by janinireland »

Mo wrote:I'm not allergic to it, but I hate the thought of putting bleached paper in something I'm going to drink.

It IS pretty weird isn't it? It is a bit like getting Sunshine Yellow - a food additive made from coal-tar in a so-called health drink. Lucozade(c). The more you delve into the ingredients of stuff on the shelves in supermarkets the more you want to do your own producing. Anyway, I think tea tastes better made from tea-leaves. If you open a tea-bag it doesn't seem to have much in the way of leaves, more tea-dust. You could send yourself mad looking at food ingredients so maybe its best to ignore it all most of the time.

Regards, janinireland.
janinireland
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Coffee v Tea v Hot Chocolate

Post by AnnaB »

Hi again janinireland!

I always look at the packet/ product ingredients and if I don't like what I read I don't buy it!
I have been doing this now for about 10 years and it becomes easy very quickly.

Best wishes Anna
ged
Lively Laner

tea,coffee

Post by ged »

:mrgreen:
Hi All,
speaking of loose tea reminded me of a time when Army tea was not all it should have been!In those far off days of long ago,tea was in tea chests and issued on a daily basis to the cooks who brewed it in urns.Alas the storekeeper was inclined to re-distribute some tea around the camp.In order to make the stock check each week he had to substitute the weight loss.He did this with sand!It wasn't too bad 'til you got to the last third of the chest,by then it was sand with a little tea!Mind you,I survived as did many others!
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Camp coffee makes the best 'milky coffee' )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

In the morning I need a whole cafetiere of proper coffee just to get my heart started. After that it's normal tea at work then redbush tea at home. We have hot choc now and then as a treat: heat milk, grate chocolate, mix and whisk. Add a little bit of chili in the winter!
There's no cure for stupidity.
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Black coffee to start the morning. Fruit tea for the rest of the day and hot chocolate as a treat.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I'm much less likely to buy tea when I'm out , but I do drink it at home. I drink it black and the idea of having it with milk seems really weird to me :)
If I'm out I'm most likely to buy coffee, or if I'm really in the mood for hot chocolate possibly that.

I think the reason why is that tea is most likely going to be a tea bag job here in Aus , and I could just do that at home myself!! (for much less money)

However, as I don't have an espresso machine at home, coffee bought out will be nicer than made at home - IF it's a good cafe of course!
Hot chocolate bought out is not likely to be as good as home made, as I make it with actual chocolate and they make it with chocolate syrup. So I'd only buy that if I'm really not in the mood for coffee and I want something sweet.
WiseBird
Learner Laner

Post by WiseBird »

I've always been a tea girl...first thing in the morning hubby brings me up a cup then we have another 3 or 4 cups throughout the day.

Coffee is at 11am (instant but always Dowe Egberts). I will only have one cup of coffee a day now but I used to drink coffee by the bucket load and really strong...2 heaped teaspoons in each cup and black yike*

Occasionally we have hot chocolate in the evening...hubby has 'hot chocolate' but I can't stand the stuff - far too sweet - so I have proper cocoa instead!

It is a funny thing this tea v coffee...having older parents I was brought up with the kettle almost permenantly hot ready to make a pot of tea when visitors called but my nieces and nephews (who were all also brought up with tea in their feeder cups!) hardly have it at all...they don't know what they are missing!

Donna
If life deals you lemons - make lemonade!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I drink mostly tea nowadays, but i do drink coffee and hot choc. I use hot choc as a reward at work, when my supervisor is getting on my nerves!

Talking of tea leaves etc. reminds me the first time I met my mother in law (lovely lady!!!). She handed me a cup of tea which I drank...then realised once at the bottom, that she had used tea leaves!!! They hadnt warned me, and I nearly choked to death!!!
...oh, and for the rest of the day, I had black leaves stuck to my teeth, and nobody told me!!! Lovely!!
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

When I was growing up my parents and hence the rest of the family were great coffee drinkers - using freshly ground coffee. The percolator was always on the go. Now I prefer tea - Earl Grey. I am always on the search for the best flavoured source as it is surprisingly varied. Preferably loose, not bags. I also drink a lot of green tea (right now actually) and jasmine tea.