Coffee v Tea v Hot Chocolate

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I worked behind the Bar at the Cricket Academy today and sold.....

35 cups of Coffee
12 cups of Hot Chocolate
4 cups of Tea

The time was between about 11am and 3pm.

I only drink Coffee as I don't enjoy tea very much and I don't drink Hot Chocolate because it makes me more thirsty than I was before. I thought I was unusual?

The Cricketers drink a lot of Tea mind you.

Also, of the 4 cups of Tea, three were drunk by folk of Asian origin.
(The Asian touring sides always ask for strong "very hot tea" which cools them down etc).

Could it be regional? Just an unusual day? Are we losing the 'Tea' in Britain?

Any thoughts? What are your preferences?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Tea - but in the evening wine and lager......don't have percolated coffee as it gives me a headache and makes the heart beat too fast.
ged
Lively Laner

tea

Post by ged »

:mrgreen:
Tea first for me!I only drink it black as do all my family.I like coffee but dont drink more than 2 cups per day.I like chocolate,prefer the more unusual rather than instant types.When I was in Eire I visited a friend and we had 3 cups of tea in 20 mins!I like fruit and herb infusions also.
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Have you always drunk tea ged, or was it something you picked up when in hot countries serving our Land?

My parents and Grandparents drank theirs boiling, a thing of WW1 and 2 I think.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ged
Lively Laner

Tea

Post by ged »

Hi Richard,
My great grandmother was from Tipperary,so tea was the standard tipple in the household and it was also about the only thing the Catering corps couldnt ruin except when they made a special effort!
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ok.

I was just wondering if Tea is inbuilt through our traditions or something we've evolved into through something else.

(blimey, that's a tad heavy for me!!).
ged
Lively Laner

tea

Post by ged »

Hi Richard,
a very good point.....,I would like to think that herbal teas were drunk at first,then tea on a broad basis as it became readily available to the general population.
atb
ged )c+
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

T in a pint mug (sometimes refilled, but it's usually stewed by then)
4 times a day at least.
Occassionally an instant coffee mid-morning or afternoon, but it has to be weak and sweet. I don't spoil good tea with sugar.
OH starts the day with a pint of freshly ground coffee, so if he wants a mid-morning drink he has tea. I did try it his way when we first married, but quickly reverted.
yogi
Lively Laner

tea the brewing of

Post by yogi »

haveing lived in ireland for 35yrs we have many types of brewing tea we now live in cavan co meath and they seem to like the tea bag leaving in the cup while they drink it they ask you to leave the ( frog )in the cup in other words the tea bag as anyone else come across this method
yogi
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Tea white with sugar - with sandwiches or for a refreshing break. Instant coffee with loads of milk and at least half a pack of milk chocolate bisquites for dunking.. But you cant beat the aroma of fresh coffee whafting through the house first thing on a sunday morning...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah, maybe that's how I started.
I remember as a very young boy back in the 50's (yes, I really do go back that far), the amazing smell coming from the Roasted Coffee Bean selling shop in Sevenoaks High Street.

I didn't start drinking it though until I was about 12 / 13 I think.

This will take one or two others back - The first Coffee I actually tasted was......

Camp Coffee with the Soldier on it!

Now I drink most types of Coffee, but like it fairly dark, rich to bitter.

A friend of mine's Dad way back when was a real Tea Freak and had about a dozen blends in his Kitchen Cupboard.
ged
Lively Laner

tea

Post by ged »

Hi Richard,
Camp coffee was our drink too!
atb
ged )c+
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

Camp Coffee .... that was my first experience of coffee too, only use it in baking now. Yogi made a reference to leaving the frog in the cup, they do it down here in Cork too. Give me black coffee anytime, loathe tea and hot chocolate makes me thirsty|!
Derra
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Tea only. Lots. I'm from the midlands originally and tea is the answer to everything. Broken up with your b'friend? Put the kettle on....lost your house key?...put the kettle on. Had to be tea leaves in a proper tea pot though. Hot water first to warm the pot. Tea bags are used now in my place but not the same. I miss the routine!
Southerners around me seem to drink more coffee than my midlander friends. Maybe a coincidence...
I like mine sugared and without milk but I'm a minority!

Wendy (Chucky egg)
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Oh Richard
Camp coffee brings back memories, then Nescafe (c) came out in tiny, tiny tins and being such a spoilt child my mum would buy this for me now and again!
I only buy Fairtrade now tea, cocoa and coffee.