Would you believe it? Update

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Would you believe it? Update

Post by Gwenoakes »

Got up this morning to find a pigeon on its back on the lawn! After looking closer it looks like it has been possibly blown into the apple tree. Its back is grazed, but it is very much alive.
Anyone know what/if I should use to clean its back? Can I use or is it safe to use a salt/water solution does anyone know?
Once again the cat basket is in full use but not with a cat! This is the second time in 8 days, first the Jackdaw now this. If it goes on at this rate I will begin to feel like a wildlife rescue.
It has some water and the chicken Whiskas and is in the outhouse with the rabbit. Thanks guys.
Last edited by Gwenoakes on 12 Nov 2007, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I reckon salt water solution, to be on the safe side. Poor thing, it was rather windy last night!
Hope the pigeon is OK. Keep us posted.
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Poor pigeon, it was blowing a hoolie though, I can't see what harm salty water would do, maybe try ringing the RSPCA, they were very good to me last weekend with my gathered critters, I've never managed to get them out before, they took them to st Tiggywinkles for me :-D
Cheers
mel x
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks - I cant see what harm salt water would do either.
Feel a bit :oops: at calling the RSPCA yet again, as had them out only last Friday for the Jackdaw.
Was thinking though, the pigeon was on its back and couldnt get up, its feet, legs and wings are working and it was very much awake. Just wondered why it wouldnt be able to get up as I did leave it for a while after first seeing it, just in case it could right itself again.
Can see I will have to learn about wildlife and helping them if we keep proceeding at this rate of knots (sp).
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Seaguls get very exhausted in high winds, I used to gather them up as a kid, give them a rest for a few days, then let them go again, probably all dropped dead the minute the flew out of sight, but it seemed to work for me at the time. Maybe it just needs a good rest.
Good luck
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep, can't go wrong with salt water.
Although you will be better giving seed rather than the whiskas I think..
Hopefully once it has recovered from the shock it will be fine to let go. Other than that looks like the RSPCA again
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well it is the RSPCA again, they are on their way now. Pigeon is standing up and had some water, dont know if it has had some mixed corn which they said to give it, but looks sore on its back. They did say not to do anything with its back, so I havent.
It is a very heavy bird and seems healthy enough apart from this, bless it.
Will update when they have been. Thanks everyone.
Cant wait for number 3!!!!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

..number 3?? What do you reckon, rhino in the garden, pelican in the pond, the mind boggles at what you'll get handed next!
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

My number 3 was the tinyest of tiny mice 2 nights ago, I saw Daisy playing tennis with something under the hedge, I grabbed it using my torch lite, not knowing what it was, gave it to OH in the house, we made it a bed & house, it looked really perky, but very small, bless it, it was dead the next day :cry:
Cheers
mel x
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Pelican, Rhino :shock: , please NO! Dont think I could handle either of those LOL.
As for mice, the lady that came was an Animal Welfare Collection Officer and she took a mouse back with her in a freezer bag to feed some Sparrow hawks, the cats had caught it :cry: Apparently she looks after a lot of wildlife at home. She was very nice. Am now doubly impressed.
The pigeon has either been caught by a fox or shot she thinks. There is a puncture wound (round) just above the right wing. He/she will be taken to Weirfield Animal Hospital at Lincoln and they will do their best for him and I can ring them up and see how its going. :-D
Once again thanks, cant wait for next Friday and what it brings LOL. When I get an update I will put on here.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Keep up the great work - thank goodness the local wildlife have you around! (f+

Yes we used to use saline solution at the wildlife centre for cleaning wounds. The only thing I'd be a bit careful about is that birds have a very small amount of blood in their body so you wouldn't want to mess around too much with any wound that was bleeding on a smallish bird. Would be better to try and get help with those if possible as the bird will almost certainly need rehydration. Also, antibiotics are advisable in most cases of course with wounds.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just rung the wildlife hospital where the pigeon went on Friday and guess what? He/she is doing really well :-D .
Am sooo pleased makes me feel all warm inside, silly human that I am. They believe it was a gunshot wound, are treating it and he/she is eating. When he/she is eating really well will be put in an outside aviary, then released.
Really pleased, especially after the Jackdaw's demise the week before.
Cant wait for this Friday )chu: . Wonder what I will get this time LOL.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Great news!!!!! (f+
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Aw, thats brilliant news!! Well done!! (...and I cant wait to hear what you get friday....)
)t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes, that is good to hear.
Poor little soul
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning