Live Transportation of Horses

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Live Transportation of Horses

Post by Speckledhen »

Dear All,

Saw a very distressing advert on a Freeview Channel last night about the live transportation of horses abroad for slaughter.

Looked up the link this morning and thought that some of you like me, may be moved to join this campaign. Any of you that love horses please take a look and pass it on to any of your friends or family who may also be interested.

Here's the link: http://www.ilph.org/makeanoise/index.html

Thanks.

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

They are just utter " s" aren't they, the french have one of the worst records on live horse transportation, I follow it on a forum in Provence, they are always campaigning to save the horses. Just kill them at source if they have to insist on killing them at all, why can't anyone get that message )de:
You see lorries parked up in outrageously hot heat in the med, while the driver takes their break, with these poor soles boiling to death in a metal coffin, it sends me wild I can tell you .
When I used to keep horses, I kept them till they curled thier toes up, or at least they went to a someone who would keep them till they curled their toes up. Once you sell on, they get sold on & on & you soon can lose track....nightmare :cry:
Cheers
mel x
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Thanks Mel. I quite agree with what you say. It does say on the ILPH site that things are "improving", just not fast enough eh?!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Some horses from France have been rescued on a horsey forum I go on just recently.
I cannot see why they have to transport them live. Makes my blood boil. But having said that I am no spring chicken, but since my eldest daughter has been into horses I have never, ever in my life seen such utter cruelty. Have been absolutely horrified and have a feeling that because horses dont make a noise or show that they are hurting/ill and this is because they are a flight animal, they get treated with less respect than say a yelping dog or meowing cat.
I have even seen an owner run at her horse with a pitch fork and poke it in the throat. The reason for this being "it didnt do as she wanted whilst riding". Arrrrrrrrgh. When will people who own any animal realise that it is not the animal who gets it wrong, but the owner not explaining clearly enough!
Sorry for the rant, but I really do detest this type of behaviour from so called loving owners!
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Sounds awful!

Weird how people have different attitudes to different animals though. I remember there was a big outcry when they tried to cull wild horses in a national park here. Unfortunately the horses are killing off alpine plants in the nat park. There may have been issues with how they undertook the cull, I dont know details, but I think they were shot. I remember thinking people don't seem to care when they use horrendous poison on wild cats, dogs, foxes, rabbits etc etc here.

Then again we do have horse racing and and I don't think that's so great for them ????
wendy

Post by wendy »

Here is another campaign that has been ongoing.
I can remember a big campaign when I was young, maybe even before my children were born. I think it was stopped and then started if I recall. But I may be wrong.
It is like most things if you don't keep your eye on the ball, someone thinks it's a good idea again.
I would think they transport them live to save money on refridgeration.
But it is appalling.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

CIWF have held up things at Dover quite a few times.

It's terrible (not CIWF), but the farming and transportation).
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

I daren't look at the link.
I detest horse racing for the fact that the poor things shouldnt even have people on their backs never mind careering down the track at the age they race them at
mind you dog racing is the same these people don't have them because they love animals its for making money and if the dog can't race they shoot them in or turn them out to die or do god knows what else to them
Last place i worked at they were always off to the dogs in nottingham with the attitude of what a great night out it is for a tenner including a beer and a pie. they took the **** out of me as i would never go. Funny thing was a day after one of these events somebody(god knows who )sh ) left some pictures about they must have fallen out of my bag! The main person who organised the regular dogs trip started doing trips to a comedy club after that!