A Cat brain question

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

A Cat brain question

Post by AnnaB »

Cats are supreme masters of non-verbal communication. We 'talk' to ours this way, and in return she does the same. Food dish running low....she is in and out of the room until one of us sorts it out.

Who watched the Television programme some years ago about animal intelligence?

They had certain tasks for them to ascertain how good they were.
I remember that one was to get 4 treats, put them in another room in different places, then show the cat where you had put them. You took the cat out of the room for about half an hour and when they went back they are supposed to remember where they were - she went to all straight away, I think she must have smelt them.
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

We have 5 cats, three of them 6mth old sisters, the stocky one, Smoky, is the most gentle but completely barking mad!

She fell out of a bedroom window
She got stuck half way up the tumble dryer hose. that was a nightmare, had to sort of squeeze her out like toothpaste.
She goes into the chicken coop, gets chased out by the chooks, but still does it.
She is the one who has to be stopped from going into the oven, washing machine, dryer, airing cupbard, wardrobes etc..
She was the first to fall in the pond, oh, and the others all try to copy her!

They are funny though!
Everything comes to those who wait...
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

oh yes, mine know they can't afford to be subtle in their non-verbal communication with us thick humans - one of mine sits right in front of my lounge chair and stares right at me when he's hungry.

i found this website ages ago with a cat intelligence test, but i'm afraid mine didnt score very well :oops:
with the hiding treats i guess it would be hard to avoid them smelling them out!

i tried to find that website but i found this instead:
http://www.monpa.com/wcp/creative.html

apparently some cats paint pictures and it seems to be taken pretty seriously by some people!

i read something interesting there - apparently dogs cannot recognise images in 2D but some cats can. i know only one of our cats seems able to see what's on TV - i didnt realise some cats couldnt see 2D!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

As soon as the Rayburn cools down a bit, he moves from the chair placed about half an inch from it up onto the hot plate.

One day he'll come a cropper !

Photobucket

Which Tassie, I guess is some way of showing they have got a brain!!!

However, my synopsis is still they're all stupid, it's just that some are less stupid than others.

:-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

hah now that IS clever Richard!
of course the day he burns his paws he becomes dumb !!!!

oh cats falling in the pond reminds me of a good one -

Our cats were in the backyard one day and one (Cosmo, middle sized one) ran up the umbrella tree right up near the top (It was I think at least 4 metres up - what's that about 12 feet?). We wanted him to come down so we were there calling and coaxing. There was a very small (but about 30cm deep) pond in the vicinity, which was covered in duckweed, so it looked green like the surrounding grass.
Whether Cosmo thought it was grass, or whether he knew it was a pond and fancied himself as some sort of high diving animal act I don't know but he went WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE off the highest branches of the tree straight into the pond!
I almost died when he jumped!!!!!
He was fine, I don't know how, but he did need a bath to get all the duckweed and cruddy water off
:?
Richard

Post by Richard »

hehe.

Ginger has rolled over into the pond a few times whilst sunning himself on the planks I have around it!

I know you shouldn't laugh really!!!!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

We have three huge Maine Coon cats and some normal size "rescue" moggies. The big ones are as thick as planks. One has trouble walking on the worktop - I think his back paws are too far from his brain.

I think our most intelligent one is the moggy that can make us do stuff for him without moving more than a whisker or two.
There's no cure for stupidity.
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

We have two cats - our tabby and white (Elby) got hit by a car when she was 6 months old. She was in intensive car at the vet for 3 days with head injuries, and then they thought she should be PTS as no chance of recovery. I didn't agree, brought her home and she made a really good recovery. Blind in one eye now, but apart from that she is fine. She is like a dog too Richard - if she gets near the front door and tries to venture out, you just say "No" and she knows exactly what you mean - she goes back in but meowing and moaning about it all the way down the hall!

Our black cat, Inky, is much smaller, and not so much of a character - although I couldn't really say she is less intelligen. :)
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

My cats are up in arms about all these implications that cats who are smart are 'like dogs'
Hmph the outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

I have three felines.

The biggest, Marble, a.k.a. PsychoCatFromHell, Mummy's fatcat, stripes, or many a name not suitable for typing out... is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. He has one brain cell and it is devoted to one subject: food. He's a feral rescue and I think he's never got over the worry of where the next meal is coming from, so he has one ambition in life: to eat. He does this with gusto and relish, purring as he swallows.

The middle one, Francis a.k.a. Mummy's lovely boy, is a sweetie. Thoroughly placid, friendly, sweet-natured. Until you have to give him a pill. Then he turns into a ball of fur with razor blades attached. He's also a rescue - abused kitten. Took us nearly a year to get him back to full-health, and he's a wonderful cat.

Then there's Waffles. Part feral kitten we took in, a.k.a. QueenOfAllSheSurveys, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Bast and Keeper of the Rings Of Felis, Dark Avenger, Destroyer of Rodents, Mighty Huntress, and Mummy's Furry Girl. She's the smallest at approx six pounds in weight. She knows no fear, having jumped out of a first floor window in an attempt to bag a pheasant in the garden. She's also gone for the jugular of a muntjac that came into the garden and chased off a heron from the banks of the stream which was going after *her* trout.

Each is different, each is lovely but the biggest cat is definitely the most dim. Sorry... I was rambling. I tend to do this about my cats and cycling. Once some hens arrive I'll be really dreadful. :oops:
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

TassieDev wrote:My cats are up in arms about all these implications that cats who are smart are 'like dogs'
Hmph the outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D*g is a dirty word... :-D
Richard

Post by Richard »

Until you've had chickens, I don't think you really know the meaning of stupid !!!!!!!!

Mind you, cats and chickens - close call ! :shock:
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not a dirty word in my household !.
I have three dogs now and we have had 8 all together at one time. Owned 15 over all our married life.
But we love cats also we have had four, one living to 21 years old. I haven't any now. Because the road is a busy bus route now, also I have the two parrots.
I love all animals, there are some I wouldn't own. But I can't say any there is anything I don't like. Even had giant african snails for years, also mice. This is all after the children left home LOL.
Yes, the children do think we are totally off the scale.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

wendy wrote:Yes, the children do think we are totally off the scale.

We may be related as my son *knows* I am nuts. ((w
One of my favourite quotes from his younger years was when he said to his schoolmates "My Mum speaks cat" :-D
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

hehehe love the cat descriptions wafflycat )t'