A Cat brain question

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

ive got four siamese cats, thay are really clever and very lovable,milo, a big red point boy sits om my knee and if i ignore him he pats my face with his paw, till i look at him, button his sister follows me around triping me up constantly, mojo will bring an empty plastic bowl into me if he is hungry, if its a pot food bowl he will bring an empty cat food sachet to me, they are fed in the utility room so he brings them in through the catflap.
billie is a big wimp she is the oldest at 10 years old.

if i sit down for a min all four of them try to get on my lap.

tonight ime sat in the conservatory ive an L shaped sofa in here, there are four cats lying around me, rosie the dog is sprawled out and wait for it.....two 11 week old chickens asleep on their blanket on the sofa as well, it i get up to get the camera, they all follow me, lol
these two chicks i hatched out and they still sleep in the dining room in an indoor rabbit cage, i let them out first thing in the morning and they potter around the garden with the other 9 chickens, when it gets dark the three big ones go get in there shed, mum and her five 9 week old babies go into their coupe which has a heat lamp in, and jojo and lucky peck the door to be let in they have a few treats, have a sleep on the sofa then go get in their rabbit hutch, its a mad house here lol
littlefeat
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

A story like that warms your cockles, that is so sweet.

The two cats that my OH used to have, when they were young cats, one of them started to bring in empty packets of crisps, then he developed this into full packets of crisps, this went on for a while, then the icing on the cake was a full ball of Edam cheese through the cat flap :shock: how on earth does a cat man handle a whole Edam through a cat flap :? he's the only one who knows & took the secret to his grave with him )c( )c(
Cheers
mel x
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Is there a shop around the corner Mel?
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I don't know they used to live in Hatfield then, we thought maybe a pub :? He pinched the Christmas turkey they had once too )c(
Cheers
mel x
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

We've had cats with us for 30 years and they've all been different temperaments. I've not noticed anything to do with head size but tabby cats seem to be the clever ones.

I think they all know their names - although some choose to come when called others don't. Kali cat knew the word whiskas - say that in conversation and she'd head for the food bowl.

Claudipus knows the name Ciggy (pronounced KiggY) - since Ciggy died the mention of his name has caused him to look around and then wail.

As for dogs... well Kali cat had the labrador next door under her thumb. She slept on hiim in his kennel and he used to sit waiting for her permission before answering to his owner's call.

Our latest pal, Mr Squeek, learned to use a catflap but has since learned to bang it until I open the door. So, he's trained me to follow his command - who's the intelligent one??
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

In this household, it's the tabby who is the big-bottomed dim one. If he was human, he'd have a starring role in "Men Behaving Badly"

The black & white one is the sweet-natured, laid-back, kewl one. If he was human, he'd be a lovely, handsome lothario, "Just call me Dr. Lurve..."

The little black one is the genius - and she knows it. She rules the boys with velvet claw and fangs. Well, less of the fangs these days as she's missing several. She seems to give terminal gummings to the rodent population of Norfolk as she still hunts.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Dylan our Siamese was the worlds worse for stealing. He has come home with chicken legs, cooked and raw. Lumps of corned beef and ham. But the best was 1 1/2lb best rump steak. Unfortunately once he got over the fence our old GSD took it from him. But my neighbour had seen him run from their kitchen with it. So we had to buy them some more.
Sometimes if he wasn't in of a night I would call him to come home.My next door neighbour would be lying in bed reading and suddenly Dylan would give a loud miaow from under her bed. He was an absolute menace he would go in anyones house. I would go to the shops and he would be sitting outside the newsagents. Just decided to have a stroll !!.
That was in our old house, here I think the road would have been a problem for him.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

hmmm wafflycat your 3 cats sound a bit like our 3 cats - except our little black runt is a boy not a girl - what is it with small black cats and bad teeth??

the biggest similarity is our black and white cat - hmmmmm Dr Lurve sounds like a good name for ours too !!! :shock:
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Well Mr Squeek excelled himself. He nicked one of Val's Belgian choccies. Val was determined I'd had it and I swear he was laughing at me as I was berated.
It was only when she found a coffee bean thing off the top of the choc under the table with some bits she believed me. With Val he's begging for a stroke, rolling on his back but when she's not about he hisses and swipes at me. )hlp>

I swear he's crafty and jealous, but I wouldn't be without him. I don't dislike dogs but cats for us every time.
I am allowed to give him a stroke at 4am but otherwise....
He's trying to become top cat with the others but Claudipus is now deaf and his growls and hisses go straight past him Aphy, the tiny black kitten looking cat yowls back and he backs down
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Hi all (im new here) but felt compelled to to post here!
We just had some building work done to the house and so our back door has been moved and where the door was is now a window so the its been bricked up....but my cat charlie who is 11 this year (and a cat who i always thought was pretty clever) has been sitting by the wall crying to come in, i stood by the new door calling him, but no he just looked at me like no i always come in here??? wheres the bleeding door gone...i had to actually pick him up the 1st time or i swear he would of sat there all night waiting and meowing!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ah, yet more proof that approx 66.6% of cats have an IQ problem!

I like that story. One of my past cats tried jumping out the window one day - it was closed!!!!

I know, you shouldn't laugh, but )de:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Kitty_Lickin
Learner Laner

Post by Kitty_Lickin »

Hi, I'm new too and I couldn't help but reply to this.

I have 3 cats -
Brian Git - b&w long haired 20yr old, had since he was 20 mins old.
Nuggy Woo - orange 9yr, had since he was about 5 wks.
Then there's Numpty :shock: ... grey & white 1/2 Burmese 3yr old, had since he was 3 months. One of the biggest cats I've ever seen, twice the size of Woo.

Both Numpty & Woo have fallen put of my window (separately).
Both Numpty & Woo have fallen into a hot bath (separately).
Both Numpty & Woo like draping their tails into a hot bath (separately).
Woo climbed a fir tree onto the roof of my house and got stuck.
Woo used to bring me toast on a regular basis.
Numpty chased the chickens then they turned tail and chased him back.
Git (when a kitten) climbed into a holly tree and got stuck.
Git (as above) climbed out of an upstairs louvre window and hung there talking to himself for ages.
All 3 are the most intelligent, dimmest, stupidest beautiful cats I've ever had the pleasure to know.

When I hatched & reared 3 chicks in my living room (yes!) for 7 weeks last year, all 3 cats were very interested but when they 'learnt' they were mine they practically ignored them. It was pretty hard going when they would lie under the heat lamp on top of the Beauties (chicks') box and steal the heat but we got there in the end!

Sorry! Got a bit carried away. Anyway the point of this post was to say:
All cats are highly intelligent, it's how they choose to use that intelligence to train us that is the intelligent bit!

btw my Beauties are Andalusians and more about them in the correct thread!
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

I am loving all the stories of cats, i have two cats emily and lottie. Emily is all black and really sweet, lottie is just like a felix cat but long haired and sweet as well they don't get on though and are really jealous of each other.

Many years ago i had a lovely big fluffy cat called murray , i lived on my own then and lived in a little terraced house with a yard near the Hull fC stadium well directly opposite, our murray used to cross the car park and go straight into the ground on a night when quite, they also had a resturant which i believe they used to keep the door open at the back, as murray used to bring big steaks and gammon joints through the cat flap, someone locally must have had an avairy because once he brought a live partridge in the cat flap and killed it on my stairs trying to bring it to me in bed.

I absolutely love cats i love all their nonchalant expressions.

Big ron is a master of these expressions, love the pictures always make me smile.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

This is so true mellonia, they say so much don't they!
Charlie when he was no more than a year old brought a seagull in and left it on the bed for my OH to wake up to while i was at work - we used to live a street behind the sea front so the only birds he got were seagulls and pigeons, and he brought a pigeon in too, when we moved he brought a dead guinnea pig in through the kitchen window :cry: And frogs were his forte, but he has chilled out more now in his old age and just beats up the dog! I try and keep him in night so he doesn't go bothering a little creatures!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."