Another good reason to have a cat .....

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Another good reason to have a cat .....

Post by TassieDev »

... they are the world's greatest stickybeaks! (errr if that's an Aussie word, it means they like to know everything that's going on!)

This morning I was having a sleep in when I noticed one of our cats sitting at the bedroom window with his head stuck between the curains for AGES. This woke me up as I started to wonder 'what's he looking at?' Then I heard flapping wings! I look out the window and there's my hen out the front of the side fence - she had presumably been sitting on the fence and just flown over.
Jump up and chuck on some clothes, out the front I go. She's happily pecking around in the ditch next to the ROAD. Argh. Of course I'd forgotten to take any food with me to coax her so I just go up and hold my hand out and make noises like she's a cat or dog or something! That doesn't work!! I went back toward the open gate to go and get some food but when I turned around she was running toward me (and the gate) at breakneck speed! Ok in she goes no worries....
Then she goes STRAIGHT to her laying box and starts fussing around and eventually lays an egg! Whether she had got disgusted with the people next door's impromtu band session making a racket and went over the fence to look for somewhere quieter to lay I do not know!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

what a lovely funny story!!! Glad she's back safe and sound!
Small steps lead to big changes
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

She earned her keep that day for you :)

My daughter was upstairs working on her computer when she heard one of her cats wailing - the distress wail if you know what I mean. So she goes downstairs to discover there's an inch of water all over the ground floor and the cat is stood on the table looking at the rising waters.

The washing machine had been happily pumping water over the floor for an hour. Carpet ruined, even electrics blown. £1500 damage (poor insurance company)

Anyway, it turns out that the cat had brought a mouse in, lost interest and the mouse had got under the washing machine and chewed through the sump pipe. This caused the problem.

Yes, she forgave the cat.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

They have the sort of face that would melt any heart, mine brought rats indoors and left them in the living room. One was dead and the other had been poisoned and wasnt much fun to play with. I only saw its nose poking out from the settee....eeek. Needless to say , the cat flap got locked so she couldt bring anymore friends home! bless her (f+
Looove chucks!
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Johnson we had exactly the same thing happen, the machine got stuck on the fill cycle, we were asleep with ear plugs in as darran was snoring due to having done recent night shifts the whole kitchen & dinind room were flooded with the cat screaming his head off, bless him. paddling around in it argh
Cheers
mel x
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

hehe they can be little angels and little devils can't they!

oh yes im always scared when wearing earplugs to sleep that im going to miss hearing some disaster occurring!
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

My late Mr Cigs learned to tap the radio alarm to switch it on. The world service at 5am is quite startling!!

Little devils indeed.

Our latest rescue had never been outside but he's got those hunting instincts - captures the post and trots round to us with it. Dreading the summer now he's no longer afraid of the big outdoors.

He's losing weight (was terribly fat) and soon will be able to scale the fence. There are mice next door (I cleared her garden for her, so I know) ... still he's cute and somedays he doesn't bite me. :shock: