Confession of a cat mum..

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Those of you who remember me from before Christmas will remember the saga of our cat who looked as though she'd swallowed a beach ball and the finally produced 7 kittens ....
Well we kept three jnrs- the tiniest of which we'd had to part bottle feed and who has turned into a beautiful grey spoilt madam called Tuppence..
Well a few weeks back I popped washing into the tumble dryer, I always check the dryer and washing machine before loading as with five cats you never know quite where they are.. this time I turned away from the tumbledryer to pick up more washing, popped it in and then shut the door and turned it on..
Anyone feeling sick reading this will know what had happened, Little Tuppence had got into the dryer while my back was turned and spent the best part of 20 minutes in there.
When I opened the Dryer she was a mess.. Breathing steam with her mouth wide open and thats no joke , it was horrific.. I just took her straight outside and once she'd calmed down, laid her on the cold paving slabs where she just spead out completely. We immediately started syringing water into her mouth and called the vets.. They said we'd done all we could and to keep checking the colour of her gums, getting her cool and giving her water. I was in bits , bawling my eyes out I honestly thought she'd never survive that.. But within half an hour she was on her feet, that day she mostly slept and drank - she must have been in shock.. but the next day she was up and about again eating and near enough normal.. Her front pads had been burned and blistered but they healed very quickly and she was right as rain within the week..
I think she used up 8 of her lives that day and I think I aged about ten years!
I'm now totally phobic about loading the machines.. I regularity put washing in , then take it out again to check even though I havent left it at all.... :oops: With five cats , two dogs and eight chickes, we need eyes in our nether regions to ensure everyone is safe, well, and happy 24/7!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gosh.
Lucky you didn't leave it longer.
Accidents do happen when there are animals around, which doesn't make it easier for you or her. But at least it ended well.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

OMG the amount of times I've heard about that happening to cats, I've lost count that's how many, one things for sure, she'll never go near it again, but a sound warning in there for all cat keepers. These pets are going to be the death of you Tina :shock: you must have used up a fair few of your own lives on that day too :shock:

I had a cat who was a nightmare RIP Jamsie, he was into everything, he fell in the loo when he was a baby, (thats another classic cat drowning place) it was full of bloo loo & so was he, he went in head & neck first & got stuck fast, couldn't reverse or anything, lucky I was there to get him out & prevent a drowning, had to give him a bath :shock: Next time, I had a really small tear/hole in the vallence around the bed where I'd caught it under one of the beds legs, he got his head in this tiny hole, got stuck & went round & round it circles untill he was choked & made it worse by still going round in circles, luckily found him & managed to rip him out before he went blue & suffocated. He also stowed away on the veg van which comes to the village & got stolen twice by a weirdo, he went to work with my neighbour in her car on the parcel shelf & had to be brought home again, the storuies are endless. We had to check the bins before we could put them out & any box bag or small hidey hole had to be checked, he was very comical but a real concern.... all the time, but especially when you went away on your hols.
Still we love them though )t'
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

OMG.
Glad it has been sorted.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Glad Tuppence is OK. It's one of those things you get paranoid about that still happens. One of mine always looks interested in the cooker when the door is open. :!:
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Oh Tina - poor you and Tuppence, glad to hear she recovered hope you have now.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Oh dear Willow, I couldn't read all of that post, I had to squint through my fingers, just praying that it had a happy ending. I don't know how pussies manage to survive such traumas, it's a miracle.
I check my washer is empty, then put my clothes in, then have to take them all out again, give the drum a swirl, to double check it really is empty. Think I am developing O C D.
Ilona
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

This happened to lady who I used to babysit for. She had two kittens, one of them climbed into the dryer and she didn't know until she unloaded it. She was so so sad. She felt she couldn't keep the other one so I took it home and gave my dad big puppy eyes and we kept it. Since then I always check mine if it has been sitting with the door open. I'm so glad to hear your little kitty recovered. What a shock!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Horrible, but a remarkable story of survival and determination not to give in. We can all learn something from that.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Thank god for that happy ending - phew!!!!!!!
Small steps lead to big changes
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I know i'll never be the same again.. same as Ilona, I've found myself filling the machine then emptying it and refilling..
Not an experience to be recomended to puss or owner!!
Oh and a couple of weeks later she went missing completely - about mid day we got worried and started looking seriously - searched the garden, the sheds, the greenhouse and the chicken coup - nothing - it got dark and still no Tuppence.. I heard a very faint little cry while I was in the bathroom and stuck my head out of the window to listen if she was out there.. nothing..
It must have been late evening when I went into the spare room and heard another pathetic cry.. Opened a deep drawer I'd put my ironed bedding in that morning and out came Tuppence.. She is just a little b***er for getting into dark places within a blink on an eye...
A week or so after that I had all the kittens spayed and was so worried about Tuppence and the anesthetic in case she'd damaged her lungs during the Tumbledryer incident.. that I called the vets four times to make absolutely sure that the message about checking her lungs had got through.. she came back with a huge area of her side shaved - I think I must have got on their nerves... :oops:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Why oh why do we have them )c(
Cheers
mel x
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

omg what a harrowing story!!!!!
makes me glad i dont have a dryer and that my cats are all grown up (not that they dont get into mischief but kittens are 'worse')

WHY oh WHY did she go in the dryer? WHY do they do these things to us????

It's as much a mystery as WHY did our cat , in the middle of the night , quietly, somehow get a ribbon that was tied around something OFF the thing then EAT it ALL down. WHY???
For almost two days and after a vet visit no-one could work out what was wrong ..... by the time he was operated on I think it was a very close thing that he survived at all. And WHY only weeks later did I find him about to eat another ribbon??? (We thought we have de-ribboned the house but somehow missed one - to this day ribbons or anything resembling ribbons are banned in our house)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We have plastic bin bags with a plastic 'ribbon' attached to tie them up before putting them out.
Our cat came wandering in with one trailing - from the wrong end!
Phew, lucky escape
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Daisy is very "turned on" by the smell of bleach, she turns into a right little trollop if she smells it (& carrots, but they wont kill her) so I have to be very careful when I do the loo or add a bit of bleach to my bucket of bubbles when I do the kitchen floor, otherwise she tarts herself all over the tiles & I can't then have her lick her hair, so OH has to entertain her until it's dry, then she's fine, she doesn't rub herself on the floor, just rubs round everything else, it's bizzarre behaviour :shock:
Carrots, she is even worse :oops: she goes into a total frenzie, how some cats are with cat nip.
Cheers
mel x