Flipping dog next door

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
lou
Legendary Laner

Flipping dog next door

Post by lou »

Aghhhh its driving me mental!
Now, i am an animal lover, and i know its really not the dogs fault, its the owners attitude to it. But it just doesn't stop barking, its doing it now while im typing! I live on a corner, so the people in the adjoining roads back garden backs onto the side of my house, where my back door is and side gate (a sort of alley way down the side of my house) And i only have to open my back door and it starts, (my back door has been moved recently due to buliding work but it did it before anyway) my dog walks by the fence or in/out the door it barks, and at my children, anything that moves or makes a noise, at the moment its barking again at someone walking round the corner.
Now the owners, nice people 4 kids and another on the way, don't do a damn thing about it, if they are in the garden you can hear them gently saying 'cody shh, cody stop' i feel like shouting over the fence myself!
Its a jack russel, cute looking dog, and i know its not aggressive as have often stroked her and seen her in the field by our houses where we walk our dog. Although it does look quite a big dog, by that i mean for a JR its quite tall and stocky, almost looks like a cross with a staffy? Never asked...
I wished my dog would bark back, maybe it might stop it from barking at us.
Its really getting me down, i know it sound ridiculous its only a dog but honest, after i just made a cuppa, in my kitchen and its jumping up at the fence snarling and barking its head off because my dog walked by the fence in her own garden, i thought thats it i have had it......and its barking again....

So sorry, had to vent this anger somewhere! OH is out with his band tonight, im all alone and angry! )de:
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I know what you mean, Lou, it must drive you to distraction. Jack Russells are yappy dogs.
Do they leave it outside for long periods of time, when they go out? Do they lock it in the house by itself for a long time? Do they take it walks, is it barking because it is bored? Does it have a run and kennel outside? If they are neglecting it you could report it to the RSPCA.

There is a barking dog up the road from me, it spoils my enjoyment in my garden. Neighbours have said it is left outside a long time, I can't see it but I can hear it. I found out that the owner works at the same place as me, I asked her why her dog barks a lot, and does she ever let it into the house. She said it doesn't bark any more because she has taken it to dog training classes??? It's her that needs to go to people training classes!

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas, without the risk of your neighbours falling out with you, which would make life more difficult.

Ilona

PS If you have young children and it barks at night could you tell your neighbours it is disturbing your childs sleep?
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Thanks Ilona, the thing is they have young children too! It doesn't wake mine thankfully, they must be used to it! but i have thought of saying that to them, i don't like confrontation, and am a bit of a wimp about complaining to people, but it seems to be getting worse, or maybe i have just had enough now!

They don't neglect it, its not out all day or all night, but it is out quite often, as dogs are, mine is in and out all day on a nice day, but they don't seem to care and if its out then its barking, surely its a problem for them? As it barks at anyone walking past too, so it must do it indoors. Don't know how often its walked, As we on a corner they are in the next road. i or OH walk our dog twice, sometimes more, if i walk anywhere then the dog comes too!

Thanks Ilona, needed to get that off my chest! xx
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I really feel for you. We had to move from our last house (not because of their dog) but because the neighbours liked to play their music really loud and they put their speakers onto our party wall so we had the pleasure of it too.
Its awful when your being invaded by an unwanted noise.

I used to get really upset about it.

We complained to our neighbours and once I even got him to come inside our house so he would maybe realise. He just said "live and let live thats our motto" Yeah, thats alright mate when your doing all the living and we are doing are the letting. Its a sore subject as I loved that house and hate where I am now, but it was the only detached we could afford. My friends say I need to see a shrink, nothing a spate of midnight tyre slashing wouldnt help I think.

So anyway, back to you Lou. LOL. It is awful and I know how you feel, When we complained to our neighbours they fell out with us and it made living on the street very hard as it was a culdesac so you couldnt just be anonymous so to speak.

Are your neighbours nice? Most normal people would be horrified to realise they are causing a nuisance, its just wether you take a risk like we did and find out they are horrible or sit there and take it.

The people who bought our house from us were quite young, studenty types and I always smile when I drive past in the afternoon and the curtains are still drawn, so I hope they are up all night partying and keeping them awake next door.

Now you know why my friends say I need a shrink. Going to watch heroes now to try and forget about it. )de: )de: )de:

If Morph was online, in her current mood she would just say

"shoot it"

Rach
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I assume they know what the dog is like?

Bit strange, but you could record the noise and play it to them.

Wendy may be more up on this subject, but I imagine it's a training need - or the old one of, if you have a dog, you should be there ?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Now now Rachell - I've just read that!!! :-D

I would NEVER say shoot that poor little thing - a gun would make too much noise - I'd say a knife is much quieter :shock: :shock:

In all seriousness it must be really frustrating for you - have you thought about getting some advice from the council - they may be able to help.

Would it be REALLY REALLY obvious if you put a note through their door asking politely and kindly for their help in reducing the noise??
As long as you can look blankly if they asked you about it??

Then - if they say they didn't realise, and asked what you thought, you could politely say "yeah, he's a little bit loud!!"?????
Small steps lead to big changes
wendy

Post by wendy »

The local dog warden is the one to get onto. Phone the council environment office and have a word.
They should go around and speak to them and be able eventually get the dog removed if it carries on, I beleive.
Yes the dog can be trained to not bark. But it is the owner that has to do it [wouldn't it be nice if we could train our neighbours dogs LOL]
Shouting doesn't work, because the dog just thinks you are joining in the barking.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Interesting Wendy, that dogs think we're joining in when shouting!!
Small steps lead to big changes
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

I was advised if you took the dog for walks around its area it knows whats' there so the need to bark isn't as strong... Dunno would it be worth bringing the dog round to your garden, showing it, sorry her round and then taking her back. Ideal if the two gardens have a gate as she can see her own 'patch' as well. Might be worth a try to keep neighbourly relations....Wendy what do you think?
Chucky Egg
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

my dog barks at the trains all the time! shall take him for a wander along the track??? )j; )j; )j;
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

LOL citrine! I feel like taking their dog for a walk on the train tracks! No i really am an animal lover but i have had all sorts of horrid thoughts about that dog, i know that if i don't say anything then its not going to stop! I need some courage! I like the idea about the note, they would not know its me? Or would they.....!
Thanks for your advice everyone, i just wanted to vent some anger last night!
I really must do something, i don't know why the people who live the other side have not complained!

I have been out all day so yet to suffer its noise today, it will start soon when they get home from the school run! (which i should be doing but my mum is picking mine up for me today!!)

Then it will be off and on till they go to bed, it finaly stopped for good last night about 11pm!

I know shouting really wouldn't stop it, but they should be doing something? water spray?
ged
Lively Laner

dog

Post by ged »

8)
U can get a plug in device which will neutralise any barking dog full stop!It sends the bark back at a frequency the dog hears but will not tolerate,so no bark no frequency return= silent dog!U can get em on the shopping chanels for a reasonable price and no one knows why the offending hound suddenly stops barking!Peace all round!This is legal,no need for guns,cross bows,water pistols,falling out with people etc.
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Ooh cheers for that ged! I will go and do a search now! Sounds like a plan, as im a wimp, and everyone wins!

Lou xx
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Just done a quick search, found something on amazon, quite reasonably priced, and it actually advertises it as stopping your or a neighbours dog barking! Perfect, and it says humans can not hear it! Do you think they will notice their dog acting strange everytime it barks?! (having said that i don't think they would as they don't seem bothered by barking!)

Well i will let you know when i have ordered one and see what the results are!!

Cheers all, Lou xx
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hio Wendy.
Wouldn't that be an easy option, if we only needed to take the dog to see what it barks at LOL. New one on me.

Hi Ged.
I have never heard of this either, I will have a look what is it called ?. I usually train people to stop them so have no need for 'devices.

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning