Flipping dog next door

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
charlwood1005
Lively Laner

Post by charlwood1005 »

I strongly advise you not to use an anti barking device it will upset your own dog, who will be affected by the noise whenever your neighbours dog barks or any dog walking past barked. It could cause behaviour difficulties for your own dog.

On the other hand I do feel for you, one of my brother's neighbours had the same problem and it resulted in her having a nervous breakdown.

My suggestion is a bit sneaky, get hold of the dog, remove the collar drive 50 miles and hand it in to the police station, then hope to god it is not microchipped.
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

? )hlp> confused> Wendy what do you think about it? I jsut searched "stopping dogs barking devices"!!!!lol.

I know the best thing to do is TELL them, maybe my OH could do it, but he hasn't said anything yet, he hates it at much as me, and wants to put something sharp through the fence everytime....(he would never, don't worry)

But even if i tell them, they have to actually DO something about it!

Rachel - i really feel sory for you, having to move because someone is making your life miserable is just awfull, selfish so and so's.
We want to move anyway, but its horrible having no control over things like this!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

What if you leave it plugged in but turn the plug switch off, then only turn it on when this dog has been barking for too long, just turn it on until it stops. That way the sound to the dog should only be short lived and hopefully not upset your dog too much. What range has the device got? Can you buy doggy ear muffs? )j;
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

If you want to continue to have good relations with your neighbours, how about offering to take their dog out for a walk when you take yours. Perhaps theirs doesn't get enough exercise and the barking is its only outlet.
If it stops the barking you win - and it may give you the opportunity to broach subject of the noise nuisance with them in a more positive way.
I know that they should be walking their dog themselves, but if they don't bother they are unlikely to give much of a thought to their neighbours (you) either, so you are going to have to do something before it drives you potty.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh yes, if you have a dog that will be affected also. I didn't realise you had one as well. That is why I have never embarked on those noise thingys that keep foxes away because of my dogs.
As you say speak to them is the best course. But if you don't want to get the dog warden to do so.

Barking a lot releases endorfins [s] and the dog gets a high, like a runner if they keep doing it and they enjoy it. So walking with your dog may not stop the problem, as he likes to bark at the fence.
The training should be coming from the other side of the fence from you.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

After reading this thread yesterday I started noticing just how many dogs there are around that yap at all hours of the day and night; we are lucky enough to have any close enough to disturb to any real degree but I feel for those folk who are. We have got a considerate owner living, or at least walking their dog around our area, regular deposits of canine manure litter the pavements. It’s quite a big dog to boot…. I wish I knew who it was….. )gr:
Bah Humbug
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

It's funny - I get a lot of comments from people asking if the noise my chickens make upsets the neighbours. I promptly tell them that they make less noise than the dogs!!! (f+

I'm always confused by this question, but I assume people are getting confused with cockerals.
Small steps lead to big changes
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

That’s made me smile; I wonder why folk instantly think of hens as being noisy? I suppose that they are scared of the unknown. confused>
Bah Humbug
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Its funny you should say that Morph, a few people have asked me too, if they are noisy? I thought it was strange! Also someone asked me if they were all girls, and been asked many times if i'll get any chicks? !!
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I saw someone yesterday who knew I had some and said she keeps listening out for them when she walks past,(we live on a corner) why cant she hear them? She said it in a really incredulous way as if I had strapped their beaks together!

Ill have to time it that I throw some corn out for them next time shes passing!

Rachel
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Or time a magpie or other large bird flying over, when they alarm like crazy!!! Very embarrassing!!!! It's as if you're killing them when they do that!
Small steps lead to big changes
Evie
Lively Laner

Noisy Dogs

Post by Evie »

Sorry to hear the dog next door is driving you crazy Lou.
Here in Bulgaria every house has at least one dog which is custom to be kept outside at all times , so you can imagine the noise when one starts barking they all join in. The whole neighbourhood is kept awake all night sometimes. One of our English friends has 11 dogs next door to her !!!!!
I had to laugh when another friend cured the dog barking next door to her as she had reached the end of her tether one day,
She went outside and screamed at the top of her voice ,
SHUT THE **** UP. It ran away with its tail between its legs and hid, but then she is very fierce lol.

Evie
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

How are you getting on with your dog problem Lou?

I was thinking about you this morning at about half ten when after two and a half years I finally snapped and shouted over the fence at our noisy neighbours to turn their music down. I was minding my own businesss cleaning out the hen house when it started, I didnt intend to do it, I was coming in to moan to OH about it, but somehow my legs just kept walking, and the next thing I know, Im standing on my bench leaning over the fence and shouting.

What really bugged me was they had their patio doors open and the music was blaring out and they wernt even in the flaming garden or in the room where the music was.

I had to keep shouting and eventually one of them just happened to come into the room.

Its only the teenagers, they are on study leave I assume, Usually I just try to ignore it and think to myself, oh well at least I have the week to myself but the thought of having to put up with this all summer (assuming we have one) must have just made me SNAP. )de: )de: )de: )de:

I bet her Dad will be round later to break my legs. Ill just throw some eggs at his face.

I moved here to get away from neighbours from hell and ended up with the family from hell at the back of us. Oh well, their house is up for sale, I wish someone would hurry up and buy it.

I need to live on my own in a big field. Mooooooooooo

Rach
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

I know what you mean Rachel sometimes theres no other action.
We are all human and some days we can tolerate it and others we just snap. I want to buy an Island with a big gun so only people with an invitation will be able to land. (just had a funny thought bet the JWs would find me .)
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Its funny Rach, i yelled shut up the other day through the fence as it was barking and they were outside with it, couldn't belive they just let it go on, even my 8yr old shouted at it too.

My OH was speaking to someone who lives down the end of our road, and he asked if that was our dog barking (as true to form it was barking at the fence) He said no explained our situation. Couldn't belive it, everyone must think its our dog! Funny though since i shouted through the fence (hmm classy of what!) i have not heard it, maybe they are keeping it in more, or are trying to train somehow, but its been a bit too quiet....maybe they took it to the woods....

Oh well fingers crossed, a whole 3 days of peace!

Well done for saying something to your neighbours Rach, i know they are teens but its just not on. There parents would probably be mortified if they new it was happening.
Don't waste your eggs please! lol!