rescue cats and unwanted kittens

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

I have 10 outside cats around the farm - but they are all fed every day. They are pretty self sufficient, catching mice etc. but most evenings come to be fed, although it can be a week before I see some of them. They all have names and can be stroked, so not feral.

The reason I have 10 cats is because they just appear at my barn ....whether someone is dumping them as young cats I do not know. They are she cats, so cannot see them wandering here on their own. And some of them have been in kitten, and had six kittens ....I managed to get all my cats speyed (including the dumped ones) through a scheme at a vets some distance away, due to them being farm cats.

Heaved a sigh of relief, no more kittens to re home. I was wrong, as another cat appeared. I rang the vets to get her speyed (at my own expense this time) but they said they would not do her or attempt to do her, as she had probably already been speyed when younger, and to wait and see. Yes, I did see when she produced kittens. I have managed to re home one, but have two to find homes for.

People are so irresponsible, and if they are dropping cats at my gate, which I strongly suspect they are, its is not right. If they don't want the cat, they should take it to a sanctuary and do things properly.

Incidentally, all the sanctuarys near here, do ask for a big donation if you want a cat - I think its £60 - so they are not free.

Obviously I do not want to keep any more cats - much as I like them.
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi Teasel

I completely understand and you don't need anymore cats, good for you getting them all spayed, its time and money for you.

Hope you get homes for them all, i am quiet along way away so will get one closer to home.

Good for you giving homes to them all, i bet they love your cosy barn.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Well, I guess that two kittens to find homes for is better than 6. I would imagine part problem is that it sounds you are pretty rural ?

Maybe a few cards in Shop Windows, letting the local RSPCA and Vets know may be the answer ?

Hope so, I'm sure someone would like them.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Isn't he a cutie.
I can't understand accidental litters though.
If a female is in season and meets the boys....well we all know the facts of life.
But he is a lovely outcome. But not all are as lucky as he is.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Your Oscar is lovely - spitting image of all my black and white cats.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awww! So cute :-D

Lucy X
hippichick
Lively Laner

Post by hippichick »

Oscar is sooooooooo cute. :-D
lovely pics
jean x
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

ahhh Jreeve

Your little kitten is excellent really fab, bless him, it makes me want a kitten now instead of a fully grown cat, i thought a fully grown cat would be better for me as won't have to pay for them being spayed, don't know how much that is now. For boys and girls any ideas.

Seen my friend today at a dog show took my mums dog and it got 2nd prize for the dog the judge most wanted to take home, my mum is thrilled to bits.
My friend with the cat sanctuary she has just picked up 7 adorable kittens yesterday.

Good luck with gorgeous ocscar

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi... You think you're going to come back with one??? Just make sure they dont let you see them all then..!!
I honestly would advise anyone with cats to have them spayed, our Tigger had 7 kittens which was an 'accident' after weeks of "we realy need to get her in to be 'done'" then she got fat!!
The kittens were and are unbelievable little characters, but we were very lucky to find great homes for four of them. Three stayed with us so we now have five cats!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Oscar is lovely. We have never paid for a kitten but have always had them done asap. When we hear of someone local wanting to home some we will have another one as our lovely Thomas had to be pts a few weeks ago. We do have our little Gerry and how he will take to a new playmate, all hell may break loose. Little Freddie isn't so little now and as soon as I feel it necessary his little 'bits' will be off.
We have big problems with ferral cats and one lady has been trying to catch them and get them sorted. They have been fighting with Gerry and he has had some bad bites.

All this could be stopped if people were only responsible.
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

neutered non fighters

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi, this reply for chicken on the hill.
We had our tom neutered just as soon as the vet would spoil his fun.
He is still the biggest bully around and the local feral cats run away from him on site and he doesn't even speak french! )t'
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

There's a new feral boycat in our area so the neighbour up the street will soon have a pregnant cat - again. (quote last time - "my cat is pregnant. Was it one of yours?" nope - I had mine "done" ya moron).

I'm trying to "win over" the new boy on the block with the aim of catching him and taking him to the vet. They work with the Cat's Protection League. It hs only been a couple of weeks so he's just got to the stage of not running away when he sees me.

Next step - tuna in the open cat-run. It worked once before!

Better get the leather gloves out...
There's no cure for stupidity.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Would the CPL lend you a cage to cat the offending little lothario.
They are all much better animals for having the chop.
Also neutered animals live on average 2/3 years longer than unneutered.
So you are doing him a favour.
Wendy

heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I'd be more likely to trap one of my own moggies that way!
There's no cure for stupidity.
wendy

Post by wendy »

ha ha...didn't realise you had your own. Maybe plan 'B' then
Wendy