Wildlife galore at our place

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

I live 5 miles from the centre of Hull and 1/2mile away there is a farm and fields and nearby we have a big recreation field, we have had a fox next door but not in my garden, last week we where down the street and a kestrel was on top of someones car with a dove in its claws, we have squirrels as have big trees at bottom of the garden, don't like squirrels though discourage them when i can. My mums friend in the next street thought it was a good idea to feed them, she had them feeding out of her hand, next thing every time she hung her washing out or was in the garden they were jumping on her back and biting her, she had to get the rspca to take them away, so give our squirrels a wide birth.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Its amazing how much wildlife is in towns nowadays - probably realise there is food to be had. I bet your neighbour wished they had never fed the squirrel!! They can get nasty if cornered or anything. I call them tree rats. Although we had a mum with her two babies in the summer on the bird table, and they did look cute ....but will grow up to steal birds eggs and my hen eggs.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Teasal wrote:Its amazing how much wildlife is in towns nowadays - probably realise there is food to be had. I bet your neighbour wished they had never fed the squirrel!! They can get nasty if cornered or anything. I call them tree rats. Although we had a mum with her two babies in the summer on the bird table, and they did look cute ....but will grow up to steal birds eggs and my hen eggs.

Yet more proof that cute and cuddly is a mere façade around a darker soul.

Whilst fishing yesterday around our moat (at work) I saw two king fishers, numerous green woodpeckers (they feed on the banks of earth covering the fort), a fox, moorhens, ducks, squirrels (evil things), goats (mobile lawn mowers for the steeper slopes on the fort), the normal range of pigeons and doves, a brown rat, a cormorant (European driven inland by over fishing), and a billion (est.) water boatmen (shouldn’t that be water boatpersons in our modern age?). Not to mention various spiders, beetles and flying insects. Unfortunately I didn’t see many fish , only a dozen perch, one roach and a bloody great pike doing it’s bit to ensure a poor days fishing for me; I went home then for my tea.
Bah Humbug
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

There is a grey squirrel comes next door to us. They have one of those metal stand thingies which has a multitude of bird feeders on it. This thing jumps onto our pergola, looks to see no one looking and then jumps on their bird feeder thing and shakes it like mad, it gets into a right temper tantrum. Hubby couldn't believe it until I showed him the piccie off my phone. Little devil )de: (squirrel!!)
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
wendy

Post by wendy »

We have a couple around here. They run across the glass roof of the conservatories and drive the dogs banana's LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Griswald
Learner Laner

Post by Griswald »

Got up for work this morning and there where 5 deer feeding in the field behind our house was a real joy to see )t'
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

I now have a stoat moved into the garden,pops his head out of the drystone walling,Mr &Mrs Phesant and the one chick that has survived out of the 7 come in three times a day for seed of bird feeder,haven't had any partridge this year though,Mrs Sparrow hawk sat on wall looking at my birdies and a Merlin.In the evening the owl comes in for a gander.
Love it all
Karen
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I found a toad in the compost this week, almost skewered him as I was turning it over, and some frogs by the fence too.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

I also have what my farming neighbours would call the run of the mill.Both fields around my bungalow are nursery fields so I have cows giving birth every day.I love it and know what time they are all born how sad! and pictures :oops: they all make it look so easy.
Karen
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have horses, gypsy horses, in the field behind the house. They have almost doubled by the amount of little foals they have produced. Of course a big daddy is in there also, so it is a lovely little pack to watch.
The babies are so sweet, we used to have cows and calves at one time. I could go out with them, but the horses frighten the life out of me I am afraid.
Wendy

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

You wouldnt want to be around my daughters 18.2hh Shire then Wendy LOL
I am 5'11" and can just see over the saddle area of his back when stood at the side of him. In fact he has just last Saturday come back from the vets after having his sinuses flushed. Today he has had his staples and stitches out, but he was sedated for that bless him. The big hole in his head was the size of a tennis ball, then a smaller one at the side that they used to flush out through, which I might add he managed to get the stitches out of on Tues, rubbing on a tree, little monkey.
)ot: Whoops sorry.
We also have herons, red kites, kestrels, tawny owl, little owl, barn owl, bats, toads, deer, badgers, foxes, wild rabbits and hares, oh and mice and rats too.
Thee was the other week a HUGE bird and I exaggerate not when I say it had between a 5/6' wingspan. Must have been a bird of prey because it swept down and scooped something up in the field behind the horses. I did not imagine it either, as OH was there and saw it too )t' . Whatever it was it was big.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooo poor boy, sounds painful.
I think they are magnificent and beautiful animals, just frighten me.
Wendy