Need advice............again!!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Need advice............again!!

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to trouble you guys, yet again, but Lexi, Clares Malamute X NI is really not very well. She had the open pyo and was spayed in January 20 something and has not been right since.

She has an ear infection, her teeth are turning brown at the back although she is fed on the BARF diet, there has been a small amount of blood that we think is coming from her mouth over the last week and she is constantly licking her bits, sorry if that was a bit blunt.

We took her to another vet who knows this breed of dog on Fri and he put her on antibiotics and antiinflammatory pills after giving her an injection. Today she is soooo lethargic it is unreal for an 11 month old dog. He suggested blood tests if these pills dont work and we are due to go back a week tomorrow. Has anyone had a dog like this before? I am wondering if she is anaemic, or has a systemic infection either because of the pyo or her teeth, but cannot for the life of me think of anything else. I just know she is NOT right. The vet did say that she seems very unstable on her hind legs and poss hip dysplasia, she showed a lot of pain when he manipulated her back legs, but would need to xray for that and it is best done at 12 months or older. We are so worried and really cant believe this is happening. Thanks.
wendy

Re: Need advice............again!!

Post by wendy »

Oh my goodness poor little thing and you.
I haven't a clue. All I will say is I had a GSD, way back in 1982, who had a Torsion/bloat.
He was the first I had heard that came off the operating table alive, then 2 weeks later had to be operated on again because of adhesions :? .
Again he recovered from that. But it seemed to severely compromise his immune system and was never the same dog again. I wonder if such a large op had done the same for Lexi.
If so I am sure a lot cane be done now to get her back to normal, as it was over 20 years ago.
I do hope you sort it out soon. {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I can't help you, but do hope that the vet soon finds out what is wrong with your poor little dog. I can understand how worried you are, as there is nothing worse than seeing a pet poorly and being unable to do anything except put our faith in the vets. I hope that your vet is a good one and that the antibiotics soon kick in. {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks guys.

Have looked at the side effects of the two pills she is on - lst Prednisolone can increase legarthy and so can the other one - Cephlexin would you believe.

I am as sure that it is not bloat, Wendy, well as sure as I can be at this stage and the vet never mentioned it on Friday either, although having said that we didnt ask about bloat either....
wendy

Post by wendy »

No, I wasn't suggesting it was bloat. Just trying to illustrate, the operations had affected him.
I don't think it is bloat that is an emergency and you would know.

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Gwen, poor Lexi and you all {cry}

Something doesn't sound right as you say. Glad you're in close contact with the vet.

Both of those medications are used in humans as well.

Prednisolone is a steroid and to my knowledge I've not noticed patients getting lethargic with it, more the other end of the scale.

Cefalexin is an anti biotic, which is part of the family of cephalosporins - these are known to affect the immune response in humans.

I really hope you get to the bottom of what's going on and little Lexi will get better {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have used celalexin or cefalex for cystitis in my dogs.

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Poor Lexi, hope she improves soon. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Clare has rung the vet and it happened to be the one we saw on Fri and she is going in tomorrow at 9.30, will be sedated, have bloods taken, teeth and ears looked at, xray of her hips although wont be able to do a hip score but should be able to see if something not quite right and her tummy scanned to see if anything left from the pyo op.

Keep everything crossed please.........again!! Thanks.
wendy

Post by wendy »

>fi<

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Poor Lexi I do hope they find out what is wrong with here. I have to say it's always very worrying when our pets get sick as we feel so useless {hug} {hug}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Gwen, hope they can find out what is causing Lexi`s problems, you really are having a rough time. take care and hope all goes well at vets. {hug}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hope all goes well and they get to the root of the problems {hug}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

What a worry. Just hoping the vets can sort the problem for Lexi.Its so upsetting when your dogs ill and there's nothing you can do but wait {hug}
LYN
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

wendy wrote:I have used celalexin or cefalex for cystitis in my dogs.

Yes Cefalexin is used in urinary tract infections in humans too Wendy.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.