Metacam for dogs

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Metacam for dogs

Post by Benny&Co »

Mercedes wrote:Thanks Bev, I have to say I do worry but I think it's just how I am :oops:

No I'd be the same too Lyn, in fact I was when Benny had his 'special' operation and when he had an EUA last year too.

Our home is so very empty when he's not here.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Awww, we all worry because we care, Mercedes and that means we are good, caring owners. {hug}
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Well Daisy is now home and in her bed asleep. She seems fine apart from having been sick at the vets so now has a very wet and messy face. We've been told to not take her out for a walk till she's had her stitches out in 10 days, which I am sure won't be a problem. She's also not allowed to jump up onto the sofas for that period of time either, which isn't going to be easy as she tends to bounce around from one sofa to the other most of the time. How on earth does one stop them jumping up? We still have her pen from when she was younger so I can get that out again, but can't see her being happy staying in that all the time. She also has one of those lampshade things in case she starts to lick her wound. We haven't got to a stage yet to know if we are going to have to use it but I can't see her liking that. The nurse suggested we could put an old t shirt on her instead, but once again no idea if that would be better as I would have thought it was best to get the air to the wound rather than cover it up or am I wrong :?
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear she is back where she belongs, Mercedes. )t'

Bless her being sick, it is not funny being sick with a tummy with stitches in, or at least it wasnt when I had an op.

I would think if you put a cotton T shirt on her that would be breathable and OK. We were lucky with Lexi after her op she never needed the lampshade or a T shirt. She did attempt to lick on odd occassions, but a firm 'no' stopped her. Luckily for us at the time of Lexi being speyed she had not been allowed to get up on the settee, but does now!

If you find you cannot stop her getting on the settee, perhaps you could put a pouffe (sp) in front that is lower than the settee itself, so that she is not jumping up from the floor. Dogs will be dogs at the end of the day and you cannot watch her 24/7. {hug}
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwenoakes wrote:Glad to hear she is back where she belongs, Mercedes. )t'

Bless her being sick, it is not funny being sick with a tummy with stitches in, or at least it wasnt when I had an op.

I would think if you put a cotton T shirt on her that would be breathable and OK. We were lucky with Lexi after her op she never needed the lampshade or a T shirt. She did attempt to lick on odd occassions, but a firm 'no' stopped her. Luckily for us at the time of Lexi being speyed she had not been allowed to get up on the settee, but does now!

If you find you cannot stop her getting on the settee, perhaps you could put a pouffe (sp) in front that is lower than the settee itself, so that she is not jumping up from the floor. Dogs will be dogs at the end of the day and you cannot watch her 24/7. {hug}

Thanks Gwen, I can see now why we never allowed Mishka on the sofa as it certainly makes life easier when they've had an op and shouldn't jump up onto furniture.

We do have a foot stool but it's the same height as the sofa but I may try using a couple of coffee tables turned on their sides as I doubt she would try to jump over them. She is still sleeping in her bed and hasn't made any attempt to get up yet bless.
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sleep is a good sign that all is well imho. At least it means she is not in too much discomfort/pain, bless her.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Lynn when Ruby our rottie was speyed we put one of hubbys t shirts on her had to tie a knot on the top cause it hung low otherwise. Ruby has funny skin and licks a lot anytime and she got really upset with the buster collar and we thought she would hurt herself with it on.
Her wound took longer to heal than normal due to her skin and we found the t shirt ideal as the skin could breathe but she couldnt lick herself. We also made sure she wasnt left alone for awhile but not everyone can do that.
Also Lynn someone gave me a doggy tshirt for our westie i dont know where it was from but you may be able to get one for daisy. Our girl wears it often though its blue and shes very comfy in it, i dont know if it would fit Daisy but if its any help you are wellcome to use for her till shes recovered if you need to {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Glad Daisy is home safe and sound Lyn, hope she's stopped vomiting.

I haven't had a lady doggy for a while but the t-shirt idea sounds like a good one if she doesn't tolerate her collar.

Could you gently lift her up and down from the sofa perhaps?

We were so lucky when our Benny had his special operation didn't need to use the collar in the end as he wasn't bothered about his wound.

Hope Daisy makes a good recovery and is soon back to her usual self {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I haven't managed to find any t shirt that is remotely small enough to fit Daisy. As she tends to lick her lady bits a bit anyway I was worried she would start to lick the wound so in the end we have used a length of bandage and wound that around her, although I have no idea if that's a good or bad idea, but at least it covers the wound. We tried putting the lampshade thing on her but it's not designed for a dog with a flat face like Daisy and there is no way she would be able to eat or drink with that on. She's been outside and had a pee and then gone straight back in her crate. She has had a drink of water but won't eat. We can't give her the Metacam unless she eats so I will have to phone the vets as they did say there were other ways of getting her medicated. Trouble today is that OH has to go into work so I can't get her to the vets if they want to see her and I have a dentist appointment at 6pm, so that rules out this evening. I am guessing they will be closed tomorrow so I may have to ask them to come out and see her if she doesn't start to eat. She is really looking sorry for herself.
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

I dont think it is abnormal for her not to want to eat tbh. Lexi didnt eat anything until after 48 hours and then it was a little scrambled egg.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwenoakes wrote:I dont think it is abnormal for her not to want to eat tbh. Lexi didnt eat anything until after 48 hours and then it was a little scrambled egg.

Thanks Gwen, did you give Lexi any pain relief during that period? We are supposed to be giving Daisy some Metacam each morning but only after she has eaten >coc<
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

I remember last year our Benny went completely off his food for a few days.

It's good that Daisy has had something to drink and has passed urine (that's what I'd be looking for in my patients after GA anyway).

{hug}
Bev x

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I did phone the vets and was advised to take the bandage off and put the cone on her. I've never come across such a fiddly thing and I really wasn't able to put it on her myself. Had to phone OH to come home from work, so he isn't a happy bunny now. He has come home and bundled Daisy's crate into the back of the car and taken her to work with him. The benefit of her being at his workplace is that it has a wooden floor with no sofas so she will be able to just wonder around there hopefully. If she hasn't eaten by this evening we have to go back to the vets for her to have a pain injection or for some different meds.
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

There are very few owners who like the buster collars, because they are a bit fiddly to get used to and owners get fed up of being hit on back of leg by the collar. Pets do get used to having them on, just takes a bit of time to get used to eating and drinking with them on.

Good that she is using her crate, because sometimes pets come back in for re-stitching due to jumping up on furniture and tearing the internal stitches.

Good to hear she is doing well, hun. {hug}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Well she has finally eaten her food, so that's good. OH said she is just laying down next to her crate at his work and she doesn't have the collar on but hasn't tried to lick herself which is good too :-D
Lyn