Dog neutering advice.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Dog neutering advice.

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Comet is six months old now. He came from an NAWT rescue centre, and part of the rehoming agreement is that we will have him neutered. This is fine, no problems with this as I definitely don't want to be contributing to the number of unwanted puppies currently looking for homes.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the appropriate time to do this? The NAWT recommendation is 6 months, and the lady we dealt with there seemed to be very definite that it should be six months and not a moment later. Other people I've talked to have suggested that it is better to delay neutering, that we should be waiting for him to start cocking his leg.

I'd appreciate any advice/opinions before the NAWT get in touch to ask whether we've had him 'done'.

Editing to add: Our vet suggests neutering *from* six months, rather than *at* six months.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Dog neutering advice.

Post by Annie »

Think from is the operative word really here. I don't believe a male castration is going to do anything to stop him growing/developing at all so no worries there. Perhaps if they are done quite young ie 6 months is stops the ladishness getting a grip. I think LBF if Comet is fit, well etc there is no reason to delay, book him in as soon as it suits you. He will be over the op in a very quick time.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
wendy

Post by wendy »

if you want him to have the dog attributes ie: cocking his leg. Best wait until he does it. Otherwise he will always squat.
With large breeds, particularly they have realised castration too early does interfere with their growth plates. So I assume it would apply to the smaller ones as well.
Neutering either male or female early would keep them as puppies all their lives, as they need hormones to develop their brain, so they say.
I am absolutely adamant that dogs should be neutered, you only need to go around he rescue centers the know how vital this is.
But it needs to be as and when. Girls should have one season first as it often causes incontinence if they are done before their little bodies have grown up. Boys once they are cocking their leg, so they have grown up as well.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Thank you both :-D
So, is leg-cocking a reliable signal of maturity? Comet still squats at the moment, but I've seen him attempt to cockerel his leg a few times (and fall over in the process {rofwl} ).
We will wait a little longer, and I will talk to the vet about it when I see him next.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I had no idea that little boy dogs squat when they are young :oops:

Daisy, despite being female, cockerels her leg up in a very ladylike way, she kind of angles herself so that she never gets anything on her feet bless :-D
Lyn

Post by wendy »

It certainly shows that they are growing up and puberty is well on it's way.

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Mercedes wrote:Daisy, despite being female, cockerels her leg up in a very ladylike way, she kind of angles herself so that she never gets anything on her feet bless :-D

My two do the same! I think it's to avoid getting wee on their long fur. It's a bit embarrassing on walks because sometimes Bonnie does a handstand when she goes to the toilet for some reason :oops: {rofwl}
wendy

Post by wendy »

My Josie cockerels her leg as well. Looks strange but it has it's advantages.
If I have to take a sample of her urine, it is easy to do {rofwl}

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

wendy wrote:My Josie cockerels her leg as well. Looks strange

Looks even stranger after Richard's 'replace dodgy words' programme has had a go at it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

{rofwl}
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I would suggest you book your dog in for a pre neuter appointment with your vet. Majority of vets will do this for you for free - as all they are doing is checking that dog is mature enough to neuter.

Vets will normally neuter male dogs from about 5-6 months of age.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
wendy

Post by wendy »

That would be fine if that happened everywhere, but not around here.
Some vets won't castrate at all and most say not until after a year. By which time, if they are really on their toes, they have learnt some bad behaviour.
Even had one vet refuse to neuter a rescue Labrador male. Under the adoption rules they all have to be neutered. He did in the end when Isabelle said she would take him to another vet.

Mo. Don't you just love the dodgy word thingy {rofwl}