Tales of a new puppy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Tales of a new puppy

Post by MissEllie »

It would be great to hear other puppy owners experiences on this thread if anyone's got stories/advice to share. :-D

We picked up Stella yesterday and I've spent every minute since cleaning up accidents and laying newspaper but it's all worth it!
She's absolutely gorgeous and has settled in really well. Last night she cried for 10 minutes when we put her in her crate then settled and slept till 5am so I guess that's ok for a first night.
The last photo is her and our other dog getting to know each other. Jess is a 12 year old rescue dog who is the sweetest natured dog you could wish for and she seems quite happy with the new arrival so hopefully they'll end up good friends - they were playing in the garden with a ball yesterday it was so sweet! Lily our cat seems oblivious as long as she's getting fed she's happy and because Stella has been used to cats she hasn't given her a second look.
All in all I think it's going well so far.... Off now to clean up another accident! Enjoy the photos, oh and yes, Annie and Lyn she has that cute puppy smell {hug}

The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Re: Tales of a new puppy

Post by wendy »

How beautiful and that smell can't be described can it ?
As you have the crate you can start the house training straight away. Took me three days with the Dopey Dave. So there is hope for Stella )grin2(

Is there room for Stella in that crate {rofwl}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Aw, Miss Ellie, isn't she sweet. A big change for you all, including little Stella.

Hope you have plenty of newspapers!
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Bless, how cute! I love that puppy smell. My dog now has an oap smell!
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Aww, she is adorable.
I miss that puppy smell too, my dogs smell of digestive biscuits, I have no idea why :? {rofwl}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Wendy - we may have gone a bit OTT with the toys! :oops:

We've got puppy pads which will hopefully be more absorbent than newspaper but so far it's a hit or a miss as she's peeing every 20 mins! We're following Wendy's advice and giving her loads of praise when she does it outside but ignoring it when she does it inside so hopefully it won't take long >fi<
She's been brave enough to sniff the chickens through the mesh but as soon as Pea started clucking she was falling over herself to run away bless her {rofwl}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

She is absolutely gorgeous {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

She is lovely Ellie, may you have many many happy years with her. {hug}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

She is beautiful!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What a beautiful picture of Jess and Stella. They are both lovely. You will have lots of fun with the puppy as they are so playfull at that age.
I have had dogs for many years, but am now too old to take on a pup. When I see pics like yours I feel so envy}}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Ellie shouldn't it be TAILS of a new puppy ? {rofwl}
Stella is a wee doll and looks bigger standing up than I thought she would - but I guess thats 3 weeks worth of growing for you.
She did do well through the night didn't she, I know that was one of your worries x?
Has she met the neighbours yet , they will forgive her anything once they set eyes on her.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

she is BEAUTIFUL! what breed is she - her coat is quite curly? That crate looks like a bit of a girlie palace - she will love having such an opulent space. Hopefully the addition of the puppy will give Jess a new lease of life too. When we got our puppy our old chap really perked up! Lots of luck with the toilet training - really its just a nuisance for a little while, then you forget all about it! Ah yes, that puppy smell - nearly nicer than newly-bathed-baby smell!!
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Miss Ellie, what a pretty girl she is! I think crate training is the best way to go, I used that method with all of mine.

All of a sudden they seem able to hold it longer than 20 minute and it does get easier. She seems to have a lot of spaniel in her and IMO that breed really want to please and are fast learners so I bet she's trained in no time )t' I think its all about consistency and things soon click.

I look forward to seeing her grow, it's so exciting watching a pup develop.
Julie x
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

What a lucky puppy to be with such a lovely family, I hope the small girls are going to groom her then put pink ribbons in her fur )t'
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Oh she is totally gorgeous :-D

When we got Daisy she was nearly 20wks old but still hadn't been housetrained and it took us quite some time and even now I'm not convinced we are totally there. I have found the crate to be invaluable and I'm so glad we got one. When Mishka our labrador was a puppy we used to cover the kitchen floor with newspaper every night and she would pee all over it and every morning was a chore cleaning it up.

I know a lot of people use those puppy pads but I think it sort of makes them think it's okay to pee indoors so we never tried them. What I really noticed with Daisy is that if I left her in a room on her own she would do a pee even if she had just been outside and done one.

Nice to see your older dog Jess is being good with her, sadly our older dog hasn't taken to Daisy so we have to keep them separate pretty much all of the time.

We also went totally OTT with the toys and find that Daisy ignores most of them and mainly plays with her little tennis balls and her stag bar which she totally loves.
Lyn