Back to the vets

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Back to the vets

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear that, Mercedes.

Has she ever slept upstairs with you at all? Perhaps if she has she is remembering back to that time. Dont know what to say tbh.

We had an old Lassie dog years ago and she always used to sleep at the bottom of the stairs on a blanket, then she decided in her ultimate wisdom to attempt the stairs. There was no reason I could think of except that because she was old and not feeling absolutely A1 she needed to be near us, so I slept on the settee in the room with her for a few months before we had to have her pts.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwen she used to sleep in the bed with us, and I do mean in it not on it {rofwl}

She then started sleeping on it but as she got bigger it was difficult sleeping with her on there so she started sleeping in her bed in the kitchen. She's has her bed in the kitchen for about 10yrs or so now and if she could get up the stairs we would bring her bed up but she can't manage stairs now and is too heavy to carry up and down.

Daisy sleeps in her crate under the open plan stairs so I'm sure it's nothing to do with her dislike of Daisy causing her to be like this.

I guess it's just her age as she doesn't seem ill in any way and the vet seems to think her general health is good for her age.
Lyn

Post by Mercedes »

I'm not sure if something else is playing up Mishka but she hasn't eaten for 2 days in a row. She will go to her bowl and it seems like she is trying to pick up her kibble, but then she just drops it on the floor. OH has sat and hand fed her but she only had a few bits. I tried just now to see if she would eat from my hand but she wouldn't. The only soft canned dog foods they do upset her stomach, even the Purina EN which is specifically for when they've had surgery and need to eat a bland diet. Not sure how long we should let her go without eating before we take her back to the vet :?
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear re her not eating, Mercedes. {hug}

To be honest I wouldnt leave her too long before going back to the vet, it sounds to me although I am no professional, that her mouth is sore, poss an abcess, do you think? Will she let you look in her mouth to see if anything is red/sore? Will she, if it doesnt upset her, eat something like scrambled egg and is her breath still sweet?
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We did have a look in her mouth Gwen and it all looks fine and her breath seems okay too. After I posted earlier on she went outside and brought up some bile. Then when I was watching what Daisy was doing on the patio she came in and had the runs all over the carpet and about an hour later the same again but this time she did it in the garden. I am wondering if she's picked up something when out walking. OH and I disagree all the time about where he walks her at weekends as we have a farm across the way and he takes her to the field over there and lets her off the lead. Most times when she is sick it's a day or two after she's been over there and I keep on telling him we have no idea what she picks up there and she is a labrador and they will eat anything. For some reason he just won't listen to me even when I remind him that despite her liking to mooch over there it's just not worth it if it's going to make her ill. I've put her in the kitchen with her bed and a bowl of water so that if she needs to go again at least it will be on a surface easier to clean.
Lyn