Tick removal

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Tick removal

Post by albertajune »

Is there any other way of removing a tick than by the plastic tool?
My pets' flea treatment includes ticks but Megan has one about an inch above her eye that she picked up this morning and I can't find my tick remover. I know it will eventually die but I hate to see them.
The tool has for years been in the same place, but for some reason, gone. I'm turning the place upside down looking for it and am getting so annoyed }hairout{
I just hate seeing the horrible things.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Tick removal

Post by Annie »

Hi June, those plastic footed things are so good aren't they.?
I have heard of 2 other methods, either strike a match ,stub it out and put the hot end on the tick and that is supposed to make it withdraw its head or use meths which is supposed to knock the tick out. Haven't tried either and frankly wouldn't just above a dogs eye.
If you still haven't found your remover why not ring the vet and ask if one of the nurses could help to remove it, hopefully next to no charge if it isn't the vet ( though no doubt they will try to sell you a preventative treatment).
The trouble with leaving it and hoping it gorges and drops off is finding it, otherwise it will lie in wait and reattach itself.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I was told (when my daughter had a tick) that using liquid soap sometimes works. You're supposed to put the soap on cotton wool or similar & hold it over the tick for 30 seconds - this will apparently make it drop off. It might be worth a try if Megan is likely to stay still long enough to make it safe near her eyes.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
manda

Post by manda »

Plaster a load of vaseline around it's head...they have to let go as it suffocates them....well I think that's a way I'm sure I read it somewhere.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I guess that's the same thing as the soap then, cutting off the air.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I saw something the other day somewhere (or read it) but it was a proper thing, and they said to remove them carefully with tweezers. :?

I still like my plastic twister, as I know it will remove the whole thing, and would be wary of using something else.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Using tweezers may leave the head behind.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oddly, I thought that at the time too. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Annie wrote:, either strike a match ,stub it out and put the hot end on the tick and that is supposed to make it withdraw its head.The trouble with leaving it and hoping it gorges and drops off is finding it, otherwise it will lie in wait and reattach itself.

When our cat had a tick the vet said a cigarette end put onto its body makes it release its head. Thats the problem, if its head is left behind it will just gorge itself again. He said 9 times out of 10 if you pick the tic with your fingers or tweezers it usually leaves the head behind.
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

manda wrote:Plaster a load of vaseline around it's head...they have to let go as it suffocates them....well I think that's a way I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Vaseline is a good one or put some nail varnish remover onto some cotton wool and put it onto the tick. With either the Vaseline or the nail varnish remover the tick will not fall of straight away but it will suffocate it and drop off at some point. Frontline spray (not spot on) sprayed directly onto the tick will also work.

Don't use the tweezers as you can leave the mouth part attached and cause an infection. I've know people to also use a match as mentioned by Annie but never done it myself x
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank for remedies. Handy to know of other ways.
Luckily OH re-searched and didn't find the original but did find a smaller version that had come with the one that I use. The tick was only tiny, but of course don't stay that way.
The trouble with where I live is common land all around. Meggie goes in the long grass where the deer have slept and the cat sleeps I don't know where.
As I said, they are both treated, but that doesn't stop the the little yike* attaching themselves initially. Will get a replacement today.
Thanks again {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Can you believe it? I found the first tick of the year on Bailey last night while she was snuggled on my lap! I thought of you June and was relieved to find the tick removers in the first place I looked! :-D
Helen xx