Bailey behaving badly :-(

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
p.penn

Bailey behaving badly :-(

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear. Bit flummoxed on this one. My dog Bailey is generally a sweet dog - a bit boingy when she first sees people, but usually a really good girl.

BUT I seem to have hit a bit of a problem. A friend of mine has a spaniel pup - now about 7 months old, a real sweety. Bailey sometimes goes out for walks with them - either with me or my neighbour, and she is fine when they are together on a walk and running around, but she keeps snapping at her if pup gets too close.Yesterday Bailey was at the pup's house with me, and got quite eggy with pup several times ( at one point she had 'discovered a bone and was being protective of it and I can understand that) but in the end I had to remove Bailey and put her in the car. It was highly embarrasing. :oops:

She can be a bit snappy with dogs if they try to get too up close and personal with her, but I really don't know how to diffuse the situation, other than perhaps to muzzle her and I really hate the thought of that if there is a better solution. Any ideas?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Bailey behaving badly :-(

Post by Annie »

Helen, you know its Wendy that will come up with training ideas when nest she is on.
The only thing I think is that not all dogs find pups appealing. Emily can't stand pups, finds them just too intrusive, whereas old Kiri plays happily (mind you she has obviously had pups herself).
Maybe running round in wide open spaces, Bailey feels she can out run the pup and maintain her own space but when confined in a house maybe she feels under threat, puppies can be a bit full on. Actually I think it is as important for the pups owner to keep the pup quiet, even in her own house as it is for you to get Bailey to be a bit more tolerant.

But I would stick up for Bailey wouldn't I ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think Annie is completely right.
If the youngster gets a bit out of hand then the older dog is going to put it in it's place and so they should. More is the pity that the more mature person can't put some of the youngsters nowadays in their place :?
I certainly don't think you should muzzle her, that would mean she could get harrassed and not be able to defend herself.
Rather than that, do you have to take the dog on house visits ? As Annie says outside Bailey keep things at a distance if she wants. Inside, she can only tell the little one to behave.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks Wendy - no I don't HAVE to take her inside, but it would certainly help if I could! I thought a muzzle wouldn't be a good idea anyway and I have never used one with any of my other dogs, so pleased you confirmed that.

When we are on our daily walks she meets other dogs and the ones that don't bother her she will say hello to and then move on, but she really doesn't like being snuffled!! Actually, I don't blame her! {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wow I love your new picture Helen, it's fab :-D

Nothing else to add to what's already been said really.

I know what you mean about not having to take Bailey to places, but it's nice to be able to do so isn't it. We like taking Benny with us wherever possible {hug}

He's taking us to a nice pub for Sunday lunch today as it happens {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.