Mishka update

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Mishka update

Post by Mercedes »

We took Mishka to the vet this evening as she hasn't been eating since Monday and despite giving her some scrambled egg at lunchtime all she did was throw it up, plus she had the runs yesterday.

The first thing the vet did was weigh her and she's lost 2kg since her surgery last month which he thought was a lot. He then felt her stomach area and said he could feel a mass in her bowel which hadn't been there when he examined her last time. He wasn't sure if maybe it's just a mass of poo stuck in her bowel or whether it's a growth of some sort.

She also has some jaundice in her eyes, which apparently could be age related. However he seems to think her skin is yellowish too so she is having some tests done tomorrow to see if there is anything wrong with her liver.

We both got the feeling he thinks there is something bad going on as he said the things she's had over the last few months would be simple to explain in isolation but to get so many problems in such a short time frame makes him think there is something else going on. So have to wait till tomorrow for the results of her tests :?
Lyn

Re: Mishka update

Post by wendy »

Aww poor Mishka and poor you too.
They are such a worry as they get older.
I hope all goes well for her
{hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

a worrying time for you, sending a hug for you and mishka {hug} {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear, I am so sorry. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Gees, Mercedes! Will keep everything crossed for a good outcome for her and you both. {hug} {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Poor Mishka must have been feeling so poorly over the last few weeks. I hope the vet soon finds out what the problem is. {hug} for you as well as you must be going throught such a worrying time.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We have the blood test results, which don't mean a lot to us, but it seems her liver levels are too high and her red and white cell counts are low. She is going to have an ultrasound tomorrow and we should know more.

TP 105 g/L
GLOB 78 g/L
ALKP 944 U/L
TBIL 113 mol/L

RBC 4.24 x10 12/L
HCT 31.2%
HGB 11.0 g/dL
WBC 5.23 x10 9/L
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well those results are as clear as mud to me, Mercedes. Perhaps Bluebell will come on here and make more sense of them.

In the meantime have another {hug} and know my fingers, toes and everything else will be crossed for a good outcome.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Gwenoakes wrote:Well those results are as clear as mud to me, Mercedes. Perhaps Bluebell will come on here and make more sense of them.

In the meantime have another {hug} and know my fingers, toes and everything else will be crossed for a good outcome.

They aren't very clear to us either Gwen. In the end I had to look them up online but obviously I am only getting each individual result and not the overall picture that these results represent.

OH took her in at 8.30am for the ultrasound and the price we were quoted yesterday of £160 for that has gone up to £260 with all the additional things they have put on it. We are not complaining about what we are paying out, but we would rather have paid out the £265 they quoted us for having a home visit so the vet could do what he has to in the house where she feels more relaxed and not have to put her through more tests. I really can't see what the ultrasound is going to show that is going to be a definite diagnosis as it will only say if there is a tumour or not and not if it's malignant and we don't feel that we want to put her through more surgery at the age she is. However the vet said to me last night that there is a chance it could be hepatitis and that antibiotics and steroids may be able to cure that. If that is true or not I have no idea but I do feel we have gone a long way from our original plan to give her a dignified quality of life :?
Lyn

Post by wendy »

Well I hope all works out OK for her and dr-ugs treatment would be the way to go.
I also feel when they reach a goodly age, surgery is not a way I would go. Just treat the symptoms and let them live without further messing around and pain.
People you can explain to them what is happening....and more importantly, why. Can't do that with animals >fi< {hug} {hug}

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lyn, so sorry to hear what you're all going through {cry}

I know the abbreviations of the blood results, but wouldn't have a clue about normal ranges for animals and dogs. I'd ask your vet to go through them all with you.

Hope you'll get some positive news today after the ultrasound scan.

Big {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Sadly we had to have Mishka pts {cry}

When they did the ultrasound it showed a large tumour on her spleen and the vet felt that it would most likely be malignant and that even if they removed the spleen it could potentially return within 3mths as it was so big, which I am assuming means it could have spread, but not sure as OH has only just got home and is upset, as am I, so not really thinking very clearly now.
Lyn

Post by wendy »

Oh Lyn {hug} {hug}
Please be comforted by the fact you loved her enough, not to let her suffer. Although it is unbearable for you.
So sorry, she was a lovely dog.

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Thanks Wendy, she was indeed a wonderful dog and had such a beautiful nature and right now I think we are both numb and trying to get our heads around the fact that right up to Monday she had seemed okay in herself and it's hard to believe that she was still managing to do all her usual doggie things. Even this morning she walked to the car and when OH couldn't park near to the surgery she was quite happy to have a little walk down the road, yet she must obviously have been feeling so unwell. It breaks my heart to think how awful she must have felt {cry}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Dear Lyn, my heart goes out to you, {hug} {hug}