Stress incontinence - 9 month old puppy.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Stress incontinence - 9 month old puppy.

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Comet is coming up for 9 months. He still has a small leakage of urine every time he gets excited.
We're dealing with it by taking him outside before letting him meet any visitors, and rushing him outside as soon as we get home, not stopping to fuss him.
Asking around though, it seems that other puppies his age have outgrown this.
My perception is that this is worse lately, although I'm not sure whether it's just the fact that we don't pay so much attention to his toilet habits as we used to when we were housetraining him.
I'm just wondering if it's a symptom of a problem, or whether it's just one of those things that will pass with time?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Re: Stress incontinence - 9 month old puppy.

Post by p.penn »

I don't know if it's any help, but Bailey (who will be 4 in september) did it for a couple of years - only when she said hello to people and especially here at home. I believe it can be a deference thing - I am peeing on your foot as you are superior to me {rofwl}

I asked visitors to completely ignore her when they came in (surprising the amount who still didn't! }hairout{ ) and in a short time, it stopped.

Mind you, a had a visitor the other day who she hadn't seen for a while, and it happened again! That was the first time for absolutely ages - over a year I think.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Thank you - that does help - I've just searched 'submissive urination' and that does sound as though it fits. I think we might move his bed nearer the back door, so that he can go straight out when we come in, as that will eliminate some of the fussing and attention that he inevitably gets when we arrive home, or when visitors come.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yeah lots of puppies do it. More girls than boys though.
As long as you are sure he doesn't have a problem. He will grow out of it.
Putting the bed near the back door will help. But only to be able to greet outside rather than in.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Daisy does it too, have to say I was totally surprised as never had it with our other dog Mishka. She only does it when OH gets her all excited and has never done it with me. I am just hoping, like you, that she grows out of it {warn}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Well - I'm now wondering if there was a problem. I know that there had been leaking ever since we got Comet, and I wasn't sure when I posted originally whether it was more frequent or whether I was just noticing it more. He didn't have any signs of being ill.
We were away on the weekend, and he was in kennels until yesterday. In the afternoon, after we'd picked him up, I noticed that he was in considerable distress when weeing, so we popped him to the vet and now have antibiotics for a urine infection. I'm wondering now whether that had been brewing for a couple of weeks, but just not showing as 'illness'. Not sure. Anyway - antibiotics seem to be doing their job now, so it will be interesting to see whether the leakage reduces once the course is finished.