Too many dogs?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
janall
Learner Laner

Too many dogs?

Post by janall »

Yesterday while out in the woods with Peppa our cocker spaniel we were walking along a narrow winding path and suddenly came face to face with I should imagine a professional dog walker with ...well didn't actually count them but she must have at least had 10 dogs with her all different shapes and sizes...could tell Peppa was a bit intimidated with this crowd and it got me thinking that surely this amount is too many for one person...it only had to take one bit of friction and they could have acted like a pack...shouldn't there a limit of the number they are allowed to walk? if I remember rightly there was a local issue about these dog walkers walking this amount in the local park...seems like they've taken to the woods now!
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.
janall
Learner Laner

Re: Too many dogs?

Post by janall »

After posting I Googled professional dog walkers and came across an article in the Telegraph today about exactly the same thing....must be a common problem.
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Incredible isn't it. How can you take care of that many....and poop pick successfully. }hairout{
We get the same here, maybe not 10 but I have counted 8 :? If a problem arose they would probably all plough in.
I used to walk dogs and only ever walked one at a time. I felt it was giving that person and more so the dog a proper service and I charged the same as those that walked more.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Yeah, we have the same walking in woods near here. They can't possibly watch/pooh pick them all. Just greedy people on the make.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

We have the same problem here on this part of south downs. My dog has felt very intimidated by them and as Wendy said, how can they pick the poo up from the dogs. I think they should be licensed and only allowed to walk so many dogs at one time. They used to really get my back up and they get quite shirty if you say anything about there dogs worrying your own.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I have enough trouble keeping an eye on one dog, never mind 10 of them {rofwl}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I also put a post up about this, so it must be a pretty common thing. No one person can have control over what is in fact a pack of dogs. I think that a dog walker should have a limit to how many dogs they allowed to walk, for the sake of safety. It was only a few months ago that a small dog was mauled to death in the back of a dog walkers van. I think that each dog is supposed to travel in it's own individual cage, but like lots of things no one takes any notice. I really makes my blood boil }hairout{
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Just read a post on FB where a lady in her 80s took seven dogs out and 4 of them attacked a 12 week old Spaniel puppy in front of its owner and 5 year old child, yesterday. The poor little mite died from its injuries this morning.
When pack instincts take over you are no longer in control.
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I believe the lady owns 13 dogs in total!
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The pack instinct will always take over with numerous dogs even if the dogs are well trained imho. It is a very dangerous situation for everyone.

I certainly wouldnt want my dog walking in that sort of situation.

It never ceases to amaze me when we take Lexi to the vet at how many owners will let their dogs come right up into her space even though her ears are flat to her head and she is giving every warning she poss can to be left alone. At the end of the day most animals that are in the vets are stressed, in pain or downright scared that fear aggression takes over, so imho extra care should be taken especially in those types of situations.

Greed unfortunately takes over and common sense flies out the window.