How to remove pet stains you can't see

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

How to remove pet stains you can't see

Post by Mercedes »

I think I've mentioned before that Daisy our shih tzu still randomly pees on the carpet in the dining room and the TV room. I have always made sure I blot up any accidents and use one of those sprays from Pets@Home afterwards to get rid of any smells that might attract her back to the same spot. However despite doing that she still pees in those rooms, not in the same exact place though, so I just thought it was a bad habit she has got into and always make sure she is never left long in either of those rooms.

Yesterday however she just strolled into the TV room, cocked her leg up and did a HUGE pee all over the carpet :oops:

After much googling I read that using a blacklight can show up dry pet stains that are invisible to the naked eye. Fortunately I remembered we have a blacklight and when it got dark last night I decided to see what I could find. Well I was astonished that in 2 areas of around 6ft by 8ft there must be about 20 stains in both rooms >dowhat< >dowhat< >dowhat<

So now I have found them I need to find a way to remove them as I am assuming that I obviously haven't got rid of it all or else I wouldn't be able to see them with the blacklight.

Not sure if there is some way I can clean them myself or whether I should hire a carpet cleaner or get someone in to do it )hlp>
Lyn

Re: How to remove pet stains you can't see

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear - I guess there is truth in the old saying about what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over!

Have you tried van nish carpet cleaner? They do various ones in hand held sprays and I have always found them very effective. Mind you, I haven't used a blacklight. :?

What's a blacklight? >coc<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I've used 1001 carpet cleaner and I often use the "refresh" thing on my vax steam cleaner to get rid of any smells that might be on the carpets. I've also got a hand held steamer and I've gone over those areas with that too but obviously none of those things have worked :oops:
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Bicarb and vinegar should get rid of the smells. 50:50 vinegar and water to wash, brush it in to make sure it gets all the way into the carpet fibres. Blot it dry or use a carpet cleaner to suck up the excess water.

Then when it is dry or almost dry sprinkle bicarb over the carpet, use it like it is shake and wotsit. Let it sit, dry brush it in is best. Leave for a while then hoover out.

Magic stuff it usually works first go. But dried in may take a couple for tries.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
wendy

Post by wendy »

Do they smell ? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about stains you can't see. Bad enough those you can )grin2(
Febreeze has a good reputation.
But I would say professional cleaners would be the way to go if you want them rid of completely. Even then I am not sure you wouldn't see them with a blacklight.
I have wooden floors and rugs, so no problems.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I'm tempted to go for wooden floors but OH says it will cost too much money :?
Lyn

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We've got Pine floorboards in the sitting room, Pitch Pine in our room, Oak in the 'puter room and slate in the kitchen, all of which worked out only slightly more expensive than underlay and carpet and will last decades longer than even the poshest carpet )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have used Oxyclene, but you must first check for colour fastness etc.

I blot up as much of the wee as I can with old towels or kitchen roll/loo roll, then soak with Oxyclene, then blot up again with towels. I used this when training Bella our Staffie and when we came to move even I was surprised at how few stains there were on the underside of the carpet.

The only concern I would have about wooden floors whether real or laminate would be what happened if the wee went through the joints. We have also been told by the vet that with Lexi's hip probs it would not be a good idea to have anything other than carpets because of her slipping/pulling her hips.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

That's something I had never thought of Gwen, re the pee getting through the joints as that could happen. I think with Daisy I would worry that she could injure herself too as she does jump around a fair bit and already skids across the conservatory floor. If the whole downstairs was hard floor I think she'd be doing that all the time, plus scratching it too. Honestly if you could see the state of my leather sofas and footstool, they are covered in scratches :?
Lyn