Daisy again, excitement peeing

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Daisy again, excitement peeing

Post by Mercedes »

Just as I feel I am getting on top of one problem with Daisy it seems another pops up. She seems to be suffering from "excitement peeing". It is only when OH plays with her or she hasn't seen him for hours but I am at a loss, as usual, as to how to stop it.

Last week she peed all over the leather footstool in the living room, trod in it and leapt to the sofa and got it on that too. The next day she was on the sofa in the conservatory and OH started to play with her and she did it again.

I have asked OH to not get her all excited and worked up and to just play with her outside or when we are out walking in the park. However today he popped home from work lunchtime and even I didn't hear him come through the front door. As soon as Daisy saw him she got up and peed on the sofa and the cushion too. When I checked the other cushions there was some old pee stain on one of them, so they are all going to be washed and I can see my having to buy new ones as they are those ones that look like fur and I don't think they wash up very well.

I've had a right old argument with OH as I haven't been well the last few days and it's really just getting me down. I said at this rate either him or the dog are going to have to go as I can't see how it's ever going to stop.

She never does it with me, she never does it when anyone else comes to the house or when other males play with her. Last night we were at my son's house for a couple of hours and she was playing with him but didn't pee, so it's just OH who she is getting all excited about.

I don't think she has a urine infection as she goes from 10pm at night to 7am in the morning in her crate without going and I am home all day with her and can see how often she goes out in the garden to pee during the day and it's not a great deal.

I have heard that speying a dog too young can cause problems, but she was speyed after her first season and that op was back in April and I would have thought if that was the cause then she would have started doing this right away.

I don't know whether to take her to the vet or what. I have suggested that OH phones me before he comes in the house so that I can make sure she is somewhere where it won't matter if she pees, like in the garden or the kitchen, but he didn't seem too happy about that.

On a normal working day Daisy is in her crate having her dinner when OH comes home and doesn't react at all. I'm just getting so fed up with it :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Re: Daisy again, excitement peeing

Post by Mo »

I have no suggestions, and just read in another thread that Wendy is on holiday.
But I know how frustrating it is - we've had a bit of it with the cat. There is a litter tray in the kitchen but if we shut the porch door so that neighbours cat can't use the flap he doesn't always use it. A perfectly natural thing for the animal, but that doesn't help when our homes start to get smelly.
{hug}

If it comes to a choice - keep the dog. Can you persuade him to knock in a distinctive way, if he doesn't want to phone?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Mo wrote:I have no suggestions, and just read in another thread that Wendy is on holiday.
But I know how frustrating it is - we've had a bit of it with the cat. There is a litter tray in the kitchen but if we shut the porch door so that neighbours cat can't use the flap he doesn't always use it. A perfectly natural thing for the animal, but that doesn't help when our homes start to get smelly.
{hug}

If it comes to a choice - keep the dog. Can you persuade him to knock in a distinctive way, if he doesn't want to phone?

Thanks Mo, I didn't realise Wendy was on holiday again {rofwl}

I am going to have to try and get OH to stop getting Daisy excited and I think the easy part will be him letting me know when he is going to come home when Daisy isn't in her crate. The hard bit is going to be evenings and weekends. I have already told him to not play with her and try to ignore her as much as possible, which seems a bit cruel, but I don't know what else to do.

The vet doesn't think Daisy has a physical problem, which cost us £60 to find out, although we have to drop a sample off in the morning just for them to test it. They think it's a behavioural problem and suggested we see their behaviourist, who also happens to be their receptionist.

We often talk to the receptionist as she has a couple of dogs of her own and dog sits for other people's dogs too. Today she was telling us how her own two dogs can't be let off the lead because they run away. A few months ago one of the dogs she was looking after ran off and she spent hours trying to find it. Somehow I don't think she sounds the kind of person I would take advice from.

We also got a lecture about raw feeding Daisy. I was hoping as we saw a different vet that maybe her attitude would be different. She mentioned how lovely Daisy's teeth are and asked how we keep them so nice and I just said "well raw food" and out came the lecture about the dangers of raw food and salmonella and other bacteria present in raw meat. Honestly I could have just walked out :?
Lyn

Post by julieann »

My little sally did this all her life. it was purely excitement when anyone she didn't see every day visited. The only solution was to pop her in the garden when someone knocked and not let her in until she had peed outside/calmed down. I can see how it must be awkward when it happens with someone she lives with. Many a visitor had their shoes anointed when they ventured into our house {rofwl}. Sorry my post doesn't offer any real solution....I agree with you that a quick call or text gives you a chance to put her in her crate or distract her in another way. Could your hubby ignore her when she's excitable and reward her with a treat when she is calm, this might encourage her to be calm when he comes in therefore reducing the likelihood of accidents? I hope you sort it out so you don't have to get rid of hubby :-D
Julie x
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We got the results of Daisy's urine test last night and as we thought it was fine, so there is no infection.

I had my mum over yesterday and she always winds Daisy up and I was a bit worried that she would pee then, but she didn't. It literally is just when she is playing with OH. Maybe she loves him so much she loses all control {rofwl}
Lyn

Post by p.penn »

I don't know if you remember, but Bailey did this for ages. Mostly when ANYONE came in :oops: The amount of friends who have been weed on by her.... {rofwl} It was excruciatingly embarrassing apart from anything else!

She did it the other day for the first time in almost a year - someone she hadn't seen for ages and who made far too much fuss of her! So I can honestly say it is no longer a problem.

I think you just have to train OH better! Really, he should completely ignore her when he first comes into the house, and certainly not to wind her up. It will take a while for Daisy to get there, but it should work. It certainly did with Bailey.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

p.penn wrote:
I think you just have to train OH better! Really, he should completely ignore her when he first comes into the house, and certainly not to wind her up. It will take a while for Daisy to get there, but it should work. It certainly did with Bailey.

It can be so very hard to train men. I think it's probably easier to train a dog than a man {rofwl}
Lyn