Natural wormers and parasite control for dogs

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Natural wormers and parasite control for dogs

Post by Mercedes »

As some may know I started to raw feed Daisy at the beginning of June. She's doing well well on her food and now I'm wondering if I should stop using the Advocate on her for worms and to try something more natural, but I'm not sure if these things really work and wondered if anyone on here uses them?

I have heard of something called Billy No Mates which you add to a dog's food and also there is the DE, but not sure if it's the same grade as the gone we use for chickens. I know there is a worm count website where you can send samples for them to check for worms and lungworm too but I'm not sure how often people use them.

I'm also beginning to question vaccinations too and as Daisy has had her first booster I was going to leave it for 3yrs before having her next booster, although the vet said she should have a Lepto one every year, but I'm not sure if that's for the dog's benefit or just to make more money :?
Lyn

Re: Natural wormers and parasite control for dogs

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have been trying for ages to find someone/anyone who tests faeces samples for dogs. Have had the horses on this for years and so far only had to worm for tapeworm which the samples dont show up. Would you mind sending me the name/tel no/web addy please, Mercedes?

As for the natural wormers for dogs I have to be honest and havent a clue, but have found out about another worm that is microscopic called Giardia which needs poss 3 poo samples one month apart to make sure they havent got it. If only one sample tested then it can and very often does give a false negative so maybe worth a thought as it needs a different wormer to the one standard wormer they use.

From what I have read about above worm it can cause if left dogs to have IBD and at best for them to be described as having a 'sensitive tummy', or allergies to certain foods. Apparently it can make dogs 'scoot' and cause upset tummies too, but need to do more research on that one.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Here you are Gwen :-D

http://wormcount.com
Lyn

Post by wendy »

I don't worm my dogs unless I see them. Unless they eat revolting things, I think there isn't a problem. You and I, of course, do not live in the Country.
So neither has been done since they were puppies. All puppies come with worms.
You can give diatomaceous earth as a wormer. Garlic is supposed to be good, as is Brewers yeast.
Mine are vaccinated for the first 4 years then I don't vaccinate after that. I had so many problems with two of my Akita's which was put done to vaccinations, one always falling apart just after. That I am very wary.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Mercedes. )t' Have had a look and found it very interesting and also noticed that they do a worm check for Giardia too. Have sent them an email regarding that, will see what they say.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Their reply should be interesting, if they do Gwen

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Got a reply last night just after I sent it, so pretty hot on replying which is a plus.

All they said was that they do test for Giardia, but didnt say how, so will ask more questions today.

Have also, after speaking to a friend last night found another company that test for horses that actually come out to the yard and take 'fresh' samples. They seem to think from what I gather, that the fresher it is, the more accurate the result will be.

Sorry, Mercedes for going slightly )ot:
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I have one dose of Advocate left and Daisy is due to have it now. I'm not sure whether I should just leave well alone and check her poos regularly for worms or to buy some of that Billy No Mates or something similar.

I know we aren't in the country but we take her every evening to Oxhey Park, which I'm sure you know Wendy. It's full of stuff on the ground that Daisy keeps on picking up, never too sure what half of it is as she is off lead in the park. She does have a liking for horse chestnuts, which I am sure are not good for her. Mind you the nights are drawing in now so I imagine soon we will just be pavement walking her. She doesn't go on the lawn in the garden much as the hens FR on that for a short while every day and she does tend to eat their poo if she finds it.

Now one thing I do worry about is lungworm as Daisy does go after slugs and snails if she sees them and I imagine they are around all year >coc<
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

There is a good piece on Lunworm on the link you gave me, Mercedes.

They dont sell the wormers apparently, just test the samples and say what if anything they have found and what wormers you need. They did say in another email that if you can see the worms then the animal already has a heavy infestation.

Have asked more questions re the Giardia, but they havent mentioned the 3 x test and have been too busy to go back to them yet, but hopefully will next week when things have quietened down a bit.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I've got a friend who has been using wormcount for a number of years and says they are very good. They email you the results, which is better than waiting for the post!

I've worked out if I buy 2 lots of the double test that includes the one for lung worm that I could just send it off every 3 months and it works out about the same price as buying the Advocate. I may get some Billy No Mates too and some of that spray with Neem in it to deter anything getting on her coat.

Having started on the raw food has got me investigating lots of other things and I'd like to try to stick with as many natural things as I can without compromising Daisy's health. It isn't easy when you've spent years believing everything your vet tells you :?
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

Yep, agree about what the vet tells you.

Think we tend to forget that vets like all of us are just human beings and no human being is perfect, including vets. We get things wrong and so do they, just a pity it has took me quite a few years to find my backbone and query things even if it does make me sometimes a little unpopular. I have found I have broad shoulders though, so can take it. )w(
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good for you Lyn.
I query everything that they want to do to me and the same with the animals.
My vet's know my views and do not push. If I say no they know I mean it.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just thought I would let you know I have finally this p.m. spoken to the lady at Worm Count and she is sending me some pots or whatever to test for everything, but she did say that if an animal has the Giardia parasite it would show with the squits, which Bella has not got. Did discuss the 3 tests for Giardia one month apart, but not gone for that right now. The whole package has cost £15 and should be with me tomorrow. )t'

She has even taken me on face value and told me to enclose a cheque with the samples. Will let you know the results when I get them.

Hows you diddling with Daisy, Mercedes?
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I've not done anything with Daisy so far Gwen. I was going to get that Billy No Mates then I read of someone who bought it and put it in their dog's food and the dog wouldn't eat it, so knowing how Daisy can be fussy I am still thinking on that one. I have some DE in the Summer House that says it's for all animals, but haven't got around to giving her that either as it's in a huge tub. I will definitely do the worm and lungworm count once she's gone 3mths with no Advocate just to make sure she is okay. I haven't got anything for fleas as I am assuming that at this time of year there won't be many around and she is in the house most of the time. I do worry about it all though I have to say, but that's just me :oops:
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

First lot of results came back yesterday - Toxacara Spp <20epg- Tapeworm and other no eggs seen. Recommend testing every 3 months or use wormer to suit.

Dog and fox lungworm result - none seen. French heartworm - none seen. Recommend testing every 6 months.

Am going to go for the testing and see where it leads. Anything is better than pushing medication into animals that dont need it imho.