Australian Shepherd Dog

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Australian Shepherd Dog

Post by jemberelli »

I have never had a dog but hubby grew up with German Shepherds. We are currently looking at houses in a different area due to hubby's new job and I have agreed to us getting a dog. Australian Shepherd is the breed that we both like - not too big and seems to have a lovely temperament.

We would get one as a puppy and I would definitely go to puppy classes. I will be at home all day so there would be no problem with the dog being in its own. Exercise wouldn't be a problem either as we are looking to move to a more rural area and long walks will be par for the course!

Although it might be some months away I am just looking into things so I am prepared when the time comes. Any tips/hints/things that I should know and does anyone have any experience of this breed?

Thanks in advance!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Australian Shepherd Dog

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not any personal experience, but did see quite a few of them when in Australia. I seem to remember they were good guard dogs, keep barking if someone was around.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

That would be fine, hubby will be away with work quite regularly so I'm sure he would be happier knowing there was a guard dog to keep me company!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not had one myself. But those I have had in the classes were all nice temperament and relatively easy to train.
Like any pup see the puppy with it's mother..an absolute must and don't be hoodwinked by the 'breeder' out of it. If you cannot see Mum, walk away.
Try to see more than one litter [although this may be difficult] you wouldn't buy the first car you look at and don't do the same with a puppy even if you go back to the first have a look around.
Get one that has been bought up in the home, rather than outside in a kennel/shed. Make sure you research the breed and see if there are any genetic problems [there will be] and see the relevant test for the parents and make sure the 'breeder' has had these done on the parents.....and ask to see the results.
Obvious things like nice clean puppies, no fat wormy tummies and weepy eyes. You are looking for happy, healthy pups.
Just because they are accredited breeders with the kennel club, is no guarantee they are good breeders. Check, check and check again.
Also remember that a puppy only needs 5 minutes exercise for each month of his life. Giving the bones time to develop before too much exercise.
Try to find a club in your area who the trainers belong to the ABDT, but they do not have a monopoly of kind trainers, go along before and see how the classes are run. You do NOT want a puppy classes, where they are all allowed to run around like lunatics all the time. You need a structured class, with short play sessions in between training and handling etc. etc.
Let me know your address and when you want I will send you some leaflets.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you so much Wendy, great advice. Will PM you my address, some leaflets would be very much appreciated, thank you {hug}
manda

Post by manda »

Do you mean a heeler?
They are very loyal the only thing I know from those who have them (they are quite popular over here in NZ as well...and crosses are common too) is they can be a bit nippy....but then I wonder if that's just poor parenting :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't she does Manda.
Australian Shepherds were created in the USA I believe.
These seem to be a collie looking type dog Goldie length coat, with no tail. Whereas the heelers I know of, are smooth coated with a tail a black head with white blaze and a dark Grey merle coat.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

manda wrote:Do you mean a heeler?
They are very loyal the only thing I know from those who have them (they are quite popular over here in NZ as well...and crosses are common too) is they can be a bit nippy....but then I wonder if that's just poor parenting :?

This was going to be my question also. When living in Australia, I only knew of the Blue Heeler, which was the popular dog on farms. I think that they are different to what you want though. We had a Heeler cross and he was lovely.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Both the Australian shepherd and the Heeler are herding dogs and both CAN have the tendency to nip heels! Your best bet would be to stay away from puppies from working parents as the nipping is a wanted trait in working dogs. Both breeds are highly intelligent and very energetic and therefore need a good level of physical and mental stimulation!
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Shepherd

As Wendy says, more like a collie. It's not a definite yet, just our preliminary choice! The dream is one step closer though as yesterday we mad the trip from Middlesbrough to Shropshire to check out a rental house. It has room for the chooks, they are happy with us having a dog in the future and has a paddock to rent to front should we decide to expand on the animal front which is definitely in the long-term plans. Fingers crossed! Application going in today!

Thank you all for your ongoing advice {hug}
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you for the leaflets Wendy x
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

How nice of you Wendy )t' )t'

I'd just say not to keep the Fosters too close to the dog bed Jembers. :-D
I've met Wendy's doggies, lovely.

Beautiful looking dog breed by the way.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Post by manda »

Ahh not what I was thinking of at all....nice looking dogs :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Lovely dog - we have a blind client with an Australian Shepherd Guide Dog - the dog is stunning to look at and has a lovely temperament. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/