Worried about Megan

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Worried about Megan

Post by Benny&Co »

albertajune wrote:We did take her to the vet this morning as she just wasn't herself and once again refusing food. He thinks that maybe she has had a small internal bleed from the spleen. This was what happened when we first had her diagnosed. She had a slight temperature, which is not unusual with old dogs at times, but he thinks that for once the temperature may be a good sign as infection can be treated.
Anyway she has had an antibiotic with more pills to follow and an anti- inflammatory injection. Already a bit more perky )t' .
If she is not improved by next week then it might be that her time is up. We did of course know that taking on an old lady meant that she wouldn't be with us for too long but wanted to get her out of kennels and into a good home for the rest of her days. She was diagnosed with cancer a month after adopting her which was lucky for her, as I'm sure that the rescue wouldn't have kept her for this length of time and she would have missed all she has done this summer.
He said what a gentle old lady she is as she allows the vet to do anything.

{hug} {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wendy

Post by wendy »

What wonderful people you are to take on an oldies. Always knowing you aren't going to have them for too many years.
What a lucky little dog she is to have found you two.
I am glad she is feeling better.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I really hope that the antibiotics and anti inflammatories work their magic, June. {hug}

I wouldnt mind any updates you care to give, either. Piccies would be really good too if you have the time. )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Well she is still with us but I don't know for how long. We were given 5 days of tabs to give her, 1 twice a day. We managed on Fri but on Sat morning she sniffed it out of the bit of ham that I had poked it in and wouldn't eat it. She actually fought against us so as not to have it put down her throat which we did manage to do that evening. The result was lots of bile being brought up. We haven't managed to get any down since.
She still wants a little walk but nowhere near as far as normal, wags her tail and barks at the occasional dog. She met up with a little group of her friends yesterday and all the owners say that she looks normal.
Food is very much the problem. I have tried scrambled egg, chicken breast, ham and just about anything that we are having. Just not interested after a couple of mouthfuls. She seems keen initially but then drops it from her mouth.
Knowing when the right time for her is the dilemma. At the moment she sleeps and rests very peacefully, wants to be where we are, still wants to go in the car and is alert. By late afternoon she sleeps pretty well through to the next morning with just a short pee walk. Then we say, if she is like tomorrow we must take her to the vet, but next morning, she gets up, nudged her lead and back to square one.
I imagine that by not eating, she will deteriorate all of a sudden and the question will be answered for us. I will contact the vet to let him know that she hasn't had the tabs and see what he advises.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hang on to the thought that us and animals can live without food, all be it not for long, but we cannot live without water, so if she is still drinking that is a plus.

Also, just a thought, but if she is not so mobile then her food intake will probably lessen too.

Talking to the vet would be good, perhaps they could give her a long acting antibiotic injection instead of the pills. Let us know how you get on with the vet, please. {hug} {hug} {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

If mine are trouble with tablets. I crush them between two spoons.
Then grate a load of really mature cheese and put the tablet in the middle, bring the sides up and in push it altogether. I haven't had one refuse it yet.
But if she is really off her food, you never know.
Good luck with her.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thinking of you all June and i hope you find a way to medicate Madam Megan {hug}
It sounds like she still is happy and content to be with you on walks but just carrying on in a slower way and resting more which is maybe natures way of stopping her doing more than her body is able to iykwim

Love and Healing thoughts to you all {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

My thoughts are with you, Megan sounds such a beautiful soul, how lucky she is to spend this time with such wonderful thoughtful owners. {hug} {hug} {hug}
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Edited as I've just found June's other post {cry}

{hug} {hug} {hug} {hug}
Last edited by Benny&Co on 21 Oct 2013, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

wendy wrote:If mine are trouble with tablets. I crush them between two spoons.
Then grate a load of really mature cheese and put the tablet in the middle, bring the sides up and in push it altogether. I haven't had one refuse it yet.
But if she is really off her food, you never know.
Good luck with her.

I wouldn't crush tablets without asking the vet if it's okay to do so. It could affect the make up of the medication, how it works and whether it gets to the right place to enable it to work properly. Some of them also have special coatings on too.

Obviously I'm a human nurse not an animal one, but I wouldn't crush anything without checking first.

)t'
Bev x

little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Hi June, Ive just read your posts, how is Megan doing? I hope she's made an improvement. {hug}
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.