Meet Rupert

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Meet Rupert

Post by Mo »

Were you planning on a circular route and he wanted to go back the way he came? Could you try it the other way round next time to confuse him.

I spent happy hours cycling behind my daughter (wearing out my brakes on the downhills and getting left behind when she trotted uphill). Her cob definately speeded up when he sensed we were going home.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Sara

Post by Sara »

I agree with Hazel , Lucy... He will be testing the limits to see how far he can push Izzy. Hes a little older and probably knows all the tricks .. Can she take him for a lesson at her old yard? or is there someone that could go for a hack out with her to give them both a bit of extra confidence while they get to know each other ? )t'

She looks so happy with him on facebook..... fab photos {hug}

For Izzy.. It reminds me of when i was working for a showjumper, I took our new apprentice out for a hack, and popped him on the quietest horse on the yard, a real teddy bear.. Off we went and all of a sudden his horse did just like rupert, turned around and went home.. Nothing he could do to stop him. After that i took him out again the next day and lots after and he never did it again . Just shows happens to everyone , Rupert obviously thought it was great fun {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

A good many horses will test the rider to the limit, not because they are naughty/dangerous, but because they want to imho, bit like a child trying the parent just to see how far they can go.

Clare's horse always know when she is feeling one under par and still on the odd occasion will try it on.

I would say lots of school work getting to know one another and making him aware of who is in charge is the order of the day.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

He was good as gold in the school today. I've booked an instructor to come and give her a few lessons on him to help build up her confidence with him and she'll stick in the school for a while now until they're both used to each other a bit more.

She was very happy today as he came straight up to the gate when she went to get him :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

It will maybe take time, but will be worth it in the end. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

What a gorgeous boy Rupert is {hug}

Well done to Izzy for hanging on in there when he galloped off - I'm not a horsewoman at all and it would probably yike* me out and I would've been hanging on for dear life! {rofwl}

I'd really love to learn to ride properly one day. Had a few goes as a child on mum's freind's pony (actually he looked a bit like Rupert - his name was Trigger) and I've done a few pony treks over the years and always loved it.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hows the partnership coming on? Good I hope. )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

It's going really well, thanks Gwen )t'

Her instructor is brilliant and really helping to build up their relationship and confidence with each other.

I was watching Izzy from afar on Thursday evening as she was bringing Rupert in from the field - they were snuggling each other all the way down the track (although with hindsight maybe Rupert was just trying to get the carrots out of Izzy's pocket!) - it brought a tear to my eye to see her so happy {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Nice to hear the partnership is building. A little confidence will make a whole heap of difference.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Sara

Post by Sara »

Awww bless them lucy, so sweet {hug} {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Mad Chick wrote:It's going really well, thanks Gwen )t'

Her instructor is brilliant and really helping to build up their relationship and confidence with each other.

I was watching Izzy from afar on Thursday evening as she was bringing Rupert in from the field - they were snuggling each other all the way down the track (although with hindsight maybe Rupert was just trying to get the carrots out of Izzy's pocket!) - it brought a tear to my eye to see her so happy {hug}

There will be lots of 'snuggling' MC and each one is very precious when you are watching.

I am so glad that they are getting on and to get a good instructor is just the icing on the cake imho and makes everything fall gently into place for a beautiful partnership. Well done to you all. )t'