buying on line medication for dogs.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

buying on line medication for dogs.

Post by mrs boodles »

Scooby doo dog has to have heart medication and yesterday when I went to vets with him I asked for a further months supply (he has only been on them a month). I didn`t notice the price when he started on them after his operation but looking at receipt for them yesterday I saw that 60 tablets (he has to have 1 tablet twice a day) was £44. yike* I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere safe on line to order these tablets at a cheaper price and do vets mind you ordering them from on line.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: buying on line medication for dogs.

Post by Gwenoakes »

I would think, but dont know, that you would have to have a prescription from your vet to buy on line, Mrs B.

Could you have a word with the vet and say that you just cannot afford £44 each month and ask if he can do it any cheaper if the treatment is going to be on going? My motto is, if you dont ask then you dont know. Good luck.

How is Scooby doing now?
wendy

Post by wendy »

I would think anything like that would have to have a prescription as Gwen says. Also you cannot afford to get fake tablets for that condition. I buy stuff like Kaogel on line as it is for upset tummies. Nothing 'serious' as such.
I would speak to your vet and explain your situation, there maybe cheaper alternative, or he can help you out.. Or maybe you can buy in bulk, as such, and buy at a better rate.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

It might be worth working out if you could save money by getting the prescription from your vet, ours charges about £8.50, then seeing how much the drug is online. There are quite a few legitimate online veterinary pharmacies and they are usually cheaper. When we used to get Advoctate for Daisy we would always get the prescription from the vet and then buy it online :-D
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

I get Benny's flea and worm treatments from these people MrsBoodles

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/

They do sell prescription only medications, which is here with the details of how to go about obtaining them

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-c-21

Let us know how you get on hey.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I second vetuk )t'

They have quick delivery too.
If you have a prescription you can buy them online.

It is shocking the difference between what a vet charges and what you can buy meds for.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks HH )t'

I've used them for many years and always found their service very good.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wow, just had a look at our Benny's glucosamine supplement and they have it for £33.78 instead of £60 :?

Now that we can't claim anymore for Benny's leg on his insurance, I think we'll have to look at things like this.
Bev x

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

My sister buys her dog's meds on line as they are so much more affordable. Her vet charged her £10 for the prescription, which she has scanned to send over the internet.
No problems. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thanks everyone, fors and against getting them on line. We can afford the vet price but trying to save a bit of money. Think I will ask at vets about a prescription and see what they say.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

It's a shame that vets now charge for prescriptions, they used to be free. More money for them doing very little :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Mercedes wrote:It's a shame that vets now charge for prescriptions, they used to be free. More money for them doing very little :?

The prescription cost is a one off, so worth it if the normal cost of meds is much higher from the vet.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

I buy a few drug items on line mainly with Vet Uk and Medic animal and you can save, prescriptions from my vet are£12 and some online companies want a prescription per order,so check them out carefully. A lot of the prescription diet foods do not need a vet's prescription to buy them.

Maggie
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Try hyperdrug.com for good delivery, prices and availability )t'

Prescription costs vary a huge amount vet to vet, so it might be worth you going through re-diagnosis costs to use a vet who'll prescribe for less. You can't get prescriptions for more than a few weeks at the most, so you'll need repeat ones so often it might just be worth the cost now.
Having said that, I've suggested some of my shop's customers haggle a bit and it often works. The threat of leaving a small vet practice doesn't half make them re-evaluate their prices {rofwl}
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)