Doggy crate question

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Doggy crate question

Post by jemberelli »

Having listened to everyone's excellent advice, our new puppy is definitely going to be having a crate. I have one for the bedroom where she is going to sleep to begin with so I can take her out in the night. There is also a larger one in the kitchen for day time use. Will it be confusing for her to have the 2 separate cages or will she just see the cage as a cage?

Thanks in advance x
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
wendy

Re: Doggy crate question

Post by wendy »

Can't see there will be any problem. Night time is for sleeping.
The daytime one. I would feed and water in there as well, from the beginning. So she comes to realise that is her own little den downstairs.
Helpful, for housetraining and leaving in while you go out. Which I suggest you do, for a little while, right from the beginning. Rather than someone stay in with her, as that can contribute to problems.
I have got crates from ebay and they are reasonable prices.
Got a couple of leaflets about crates do you want some........or have I already given you them {rofwl}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Fantastic, thanks Wendy! Just the answer I was hoping for! Great advice as always (still have the first lot of leaflets but thanks for the offer - again {rofwl} )!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I find having a crate for Daisy invaluable. I used to be really against them years ago and thought they were cruel but when we got Daisy we already had another dog and she was already crate trained so we bought a small one and it's been great.

I do think they see it as safe place for sleeping and eating/drinking and like Wendy I can't see having 2 of them being a problem. I wouldn't mind having one for our bedroom as Daisy sleeps in her crate under the stairs at night but I often think it would be nice having her in our room :-D
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Oooh can't wait for 17th so I can bring her home and put it all into practice!!