If you donate to the RSPCA, read on!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

If you donate to the RSPCA, read on!

Post by HazellB »

I've just had a quick look at Horse & Hound's news pages and found an article that interested me.

The RSPCA has just decided to look at it's prosecution policy after a judge in a case against a Hunt criticise it's spending.
The RSPCA spent £326,000 on a prosecution against two Huntsmen and a Hunt. The Hunt and Huntsmen were found guilty, but only ordered to repay £15,000 of the RSPCA costs. That means over £300k of donation money was used in this one case.
How are they remedying this waste? By spending thirty to fifty thousand pounds on a review in to wasted money in prosecutions.

I've always thought that the RSPCA should stay well away from the Hunt ban. I agree with the ban now (though used to Hunt myself) but have never understood why the charity messes about trying again and again to bring private prosecutions which fail nine times out of ten. They must have wasted MILLIONS!

They should be spending on cruelty cases like neglect and so on, not the ever increasing failed Hunt cases. If the police say they can't do anything, surely common sense should tell the RSPCA that they can't get a guilty verdict either? Their lawyers are taking them for a longer ride than any Hunt could!

Anyway, if you send the RSPCA money, can I please ask you at least direct it to a branch rather than the headquarters? That way it will be used for animals and staff rather than lawyers and fifty quid lunches.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
wendy

Re: If you donate to the RSPCA, read on!

Post by wendy »

The least of the reasons why I don't donate.
I have reported horses in trouble and was told it was not an emergency, twice. The first time we had to watch the horse die. Boy was there Inspectors, vets and police there then....too bloomin' late ! Many problems now with horses in flooded fields and them not doing their job. and I am not a horse person. But I won't see any animal suffer
My money goes to small recues who are struggling under a weight of dogs and cats and are doing a brilliant job
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I used to donate, but now dont for lots of reasons, far too many to list here.

I dont want to rant, but will say, imho they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have had three long conversations with the RSPCA about the neglect of a dog local to me. They were no help at all. Can't say too much about it, but I have resolved it in the best interests of the dog.

I help the local branch by donating to their charity shop, where all money stays with the local branch. They do good work. Trouble is they can't help me with the dog as mentioned above, they say it has to go through National, and I know that is a waste of time.
Ilona
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Three times I have asked for them to at least check on animals. One a deer brought down by a dog and put in a stable in a bad way, one a cat with an obviously broken leg (was told to find a trap from somewhere and catch it myself) and the last time two collie dogs who were kept in small travelling cages in a dark garage for six months and never walked. That was the last time, useless. I had to fall out with the neighbour and suffered all sorts of abuse and visits from the police on bogus reasons. But the dogs got out!
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Like others I have been very dissatisfied with their response on the two times that I contacted them. We used to donate by direct debit but stopped it and now donate to a smaller organisation.
I did phone and let them know why I was stopping our donations and must say, the person that I spoke to didn't seem at all bothered. Much too much of the money is going into fighting causes rather than towards caring for animals in need.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Another one who wont donate to the RSPCA because I've been dis-satisfied with their response on many occasions and also think they seem to spend too much time in court. I donate to a local charity who do really good work in the community.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."