Very poorly dog

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Very poorly dog

Post by Spreckly »

We have our little Nation dreadfully ill. She has been bringing up small amounts of bile on some nights, which on the vet's advice, we treated by splitting her evening feed into two. This worked more or less, but yesterday after a day of vomiting all over the yard, on several occasions (Im am not exagerrating), we rushed her to see the vet. She was given an injection to stop the sickness, tablets to take from tonight onwards, and some special dog food.

The food is untouched, and Nation seems in a daze. She has been drinking huge quantities of water, and overnight we had a damp fleece, and a small amount of bile on it.

I took her down the garden during the night, but she just wandered listlessly around.

Thank goodness it wasn't last week, when we helped my grandson move house, and also a friend. We were in and out each day, but obviously I would have stayed with Nation had she been ill then.

I now know what it means to be as sick as a dog.
wendy

Re: Very poorly dog

Post by wendy »

Not eaten something that has got lodged in her intestines. Has she pooped ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

If she went to the vet this morning and had an injection, she might feel better when it has had time to work. If she was mine, and was still worried about her in the morning, I would phone the vet and get advice. Some people think that I can be over cautious.
I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but I have lost two dogs who were bringing up lots of bile. One had swallowed a small ball, which the vet didn't find as he didn't x-ray. When another vet did and operated, it was too late to save him as it had gone on for so long.
Also Megan was doing the same thing just before we lost her and it was her liver. The vet had initially felt her stomach and knew it was tender. An x-ray showed up the problem.
If the treatment given today doesn't work, please don't let it go on for too long before taking her back.
Hope the poor little girl is better soon. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I agree June. Lots of dogs will swallow things, they cannot digest and cause problems.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The injection the vet gave Nation last night did not entirely prevent the vomiting, and she threw up about three lots of bile mixed with grass. Her stools are very small and hard.

This morning we took her back to the vet, and they have kept her in. She is on a drip, and they have taken bloods. She is also being given pain relief.

I am phoning in about an hour to see how she is getting on, having phoned at 3.30pm. What really upsets me is that there is no-one there overnight, just a nurse popping in to check and administer pain relief.

The vet did talk of the possibility of her being taken to the vet hospital some eleven miles away, which isn't much further than our vet.

Thank you for your advice.

v
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Oh dear I hope she gets on OK. I wondered if she'd eaten some poison.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am so sorry to hear that Nation is poorly. I really hope you get some answers later tonight, Spreckly. {hug} {hug} {hug}

What sprung to my mind was kidney probs, especially with the drinking lots of water, although like someone else said it could be liver.

Is she very old, Spreckly?
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Sending you big {hug} {hug} Spreckly, I hope poor Nation is better soon
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Big hugs Spreckly and I hope Nation is feeling better {hug} {hug}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

how is he today Spreckly?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Another one here wondering/hoping that things have improved. {hug} {hug} {hug}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your kind replies. It has been a roller coaster ride for 24 hours. The vet has been on and off the phone. He has just phoned to say that after doing a scan, he has seen a shadow in the bowel. We can't rule out the possibility of her eating something out of the garden, but it is always kept litter and rubbish free.

Nations bloods showed several raised levels, which the vet says will account for her none eating, vomiting, etc. She is still on a drip at the vets, and tomorrow when she is more hydrated, he will open her up, and see what is what. He does not think that the shadow looks like a tumour.

I am more hopeful, but still in bits, as those of us with beloved pets know only too well. I actually asked him if Nation were his, would he do the ultimate, and he said no - this was before he scanned her.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I wonder if she's picked up some sort of poison when she's been out walking Spreckly
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I'm glad that she is in safe hands Spreckly. Lets hope that the vet soon finds out what her problem is and puts it right. I hope that the pain relief is keeping poor little dog comfortable.
Dogs can eat all sorts of weird things. We had another old dog who was operated on and would you believe, the vet took out an old dishcloth. Hopefully your vet is right and it isn't anything ominous.
I'm sure that you will keep up up dated. Such a worry for you I know, but there will be lots of love sent your way for you and her. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your kind messages. I am hoping that Nation has not picked up poison, as I have only been able to walk her once out of our garden in the last ten days due to a bad knee. The vet did say that an obstruction is showing on the scan, so I am continuing to hope that he will be able to remove it, and that Nation will rapidly return to health.