Our new Shetland Sheepdog

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Our new Shetland Sheepdog

Post by jemberelli »

Aw she is beautiful, what a pretty face {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, Spreckly she is beautiful. What a sweet little thing she is and I am sure the toilet training will go from strength to strength.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I thought we had cracked the toilet training, but Angel refused to toilet from 6pm until 7am, despite many visits to the garden, gravel area, etc. This morning I found a pile of poo in the hall! So we haven't got there yet!

I have a couple of queries. My last two bitches were eight weeks when I got them, and we had no real separation anxiety either at night, or when we went out. Angel is still sleeping on our bed, so that looks as if it might become permanent, but today we left her for the second time since she came to us. She had a box with a fleece in the kitchen, radio on, all potential hazards removed, and off we went to her howls! I crept to the front door on return, and she was howling. Poor little thing. Hopefully she will get used to our absence.

As she has poo'd in the same area (inside), twice now, is there anything which will eliminate her scent? I used Dettol with disinfectant both times. Would vinegar mask the smell? I think the mishap might have happened last night.

Also, she is not drinking enough, and I am wondering about using a syringe-full of water. Water is always fresh and available.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think it is very early days for her to be feeling secure to be honest, Spreckly. All our animals have been left for just a few mins to begin with and slowly lengthened time literally by minutes until they got used to being alone. Got to admit though the older the animal the longer it took for us.

I have used OxiClean for stains from pets which seems to get rid of the smell and also the actual stain. You would have to test it on somewhere out the way first, but what you do is soak as much of the water up first then soak the area with the OxyClean (you put it in water as it is granules) and then take as much of the liquid up as possible with towels etc.

You talk about gravel, maybe she likes grass to do her business on, do you have any?.

Have heard and it does work for my daughters dog when he has to be left that the TV is better being left on, especially if there is an animal programme on, so poss try that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for your advice, Gwen. We do have grass, paving slabs and gravel, and Angel tends to vary her spot. She goes out on and off the lead in the garden, and seems to like variety. Having said that, when I took her out at 2pm, she bobbed down almost straight away.

There haven't been any stains - I binned the hearth rug which she christened the first morning, one of the old peg rugs, which was a real dust collector. It was just something to obliterate the smell of any deposit.

We have a dog next door (one of six), which appears to get shut in the far side of the house, and sometimes it barks almost non-stop, poor thing. We thought we would leave Angel for increasing periods of time, but today was an appointment at the surgery, and we were out for just one hour.

She has been asleep on the settee all afternoon, very relaxed, and enjoying being coo'ed over
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have only just found this thread and I am so pleased you have a dog again. Angel is so pretty and I am sure you will work through any teething problems. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

She is gorgeous )t'
[center][/center]Davina
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Don't want to speak too soon, but apart from the blip yesterday morning, we are having huge success. Went first thing, then took Angel out for an hour, came home, and suggested a wee, and down she went! A piece of kibble is her reward for her performance. She is curled up beside me, but loves to sit on my knee at the computer desk and watch the sheep in the field opposite.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Brilliant, Spreckly. )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

How is Angel now Spreckly? I often think about you both so hope all is settling down nicely.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for youro kind query June. Angel is doing really, really well. She is almost at the end of her season - next Tuesday is the 21st day, so after that we can go for walks up the lane. Tomorrow she goes for boosters at the vets, don't think she will be too impressed.

Still having teething troubles with the toiletting, though last week we thought the penny had dropped, then she reverted back to long periods without spending the penny. She refused to go last thing last night, and at 5.30am was bouncing around our bed, so out we went, and she really did want to go! Today has been much better, for I didn't think she was drinking enough, and started syringing water into her mouth. I also thought that she didn't like the water bowl, and changed it for a much smaller stainless steel one.

We left her for a couple of hours this morning, and earlier in the week, when I had to go to the surgery for yet more anti-biotics, and we went off without a sound from her, and returned to silence, both times. She is ecstatic on our return, leaping up with delight. I picked her up today, and nearly dropped her, she is so very agile.

It will be two weeks tomorrow since she came to live with us, she is already a very precious little girl. Nation has not been replaced in our affections, we miss her a great deal.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, Spreckly that is wonderful to read. What a lucky, lucky girl she is to have found you.

I know exactly what you mean about her not replacing Nation, we are exactly the same with Teddy who came here because Lexi was pts. They can never replace the previous much loved pet, but they certainly do help you through the grieving. Love to you all. {hug}
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

She is beautiful - made me feel quite nostalgic for my grandads dog Spotty Maldoon whe looked just the same. Spent a large part of my childhood running round the Cheshire countryside with him :-D
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."