Mini Shetland Pony V Tiny Jack Russell.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Mini Shetland Pony V Tiny Jack Russell.

Post by HazellB »

My little, stumpy JRT has spent all his time with me (from 8 months of age) bothering some form of wildlife or another, or our pets. He chases the horses when they canter about, he never bores of attempted cat-wrangling and the local pheasants are all experts at quick getaways. He's good enough natured about and doesn't hurt anybody, luckily. He's had two cracked skulls from horses tripping over him at speed though.
In short, he's got far too much energy and he's a true terrier.

However, last night he finally met his match. yike*

My partner and I were trimming the hooves of 3 mini Shetland ponies. One's very old, so she just stood there watching. One's very a timid rescue case still settling in, so she just half joined in, but the third is a youngster who wanted to try out her new little feet at high speed.

So she eyed up the terrier, decided she could have him in a fight and went for it. They did several laps of the field, then narrowed to just running round the pond. The dog has been brought up with Salukis, which means he's learned how to run very fast, but the pony was determined :-D

The result?
A happy, if rather sweaty, pony and a Jack Russell with his ego considerably shrunk )t'
Oh, and several humans wiping tears of laughter from their eyes {rofwl}
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Mini Shetland Pony V Tiny Jack Russell.

Post by Totally Scrambled »

{rofwl}
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry, cant laugh at that Hazel, in fact quite the opposite, if I am honest.

The reason - a dog owner did this to one of our horses and he never, ever, forgot it and was an absolute nightmare, to the point of being dangerous to take out to shows or even be left in the field if dogs came near him and thats apart from any injury that might be incurred by either animal.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I'm sorry, I fail to understand how my dog being chased my a pony in a good natured way is in any way like somebody allowing their dog to worry your animals on your land?

How are they alike?
@Sheldonatsov
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Put in the context of your last post I suppose it doesnt. But you have already mentioned your dog being hurt twice by a horse, so I am still of the opinion that I wouldnt do it for that reason and also if their was a newish horse to the herd that would be another reason I wouldnt.

We are all different and maybe now you think I worry too much, but that is the way I am and obviously it wouldnt do for us all to be the same. My experiences in the past have and do reflect on my present day living, right or wrong.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

If you worry too much, you shouldn't be near horses then. Anyone who sees danger in every shadow is sure to upset a horse.

I'm more of a "let animals enjoy being animals" person. If anyone's getting too giddy, they're separated, but until then I let my lot play together and there's so few problems. The dog's cracked skulls were never a worry - he just had a cantering horse trip over him, bowl him over, then an X ray and a few pain killers. Frankly, a broken leg would have been far worse. He hasn't even got a lump where either crack was.
And he still enjoys running about when they're playing in the field {hug}
@Sheldonatsov
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

HazellB wrote:If you worry too much, you shouldn't be near horses then. Anyone who sees danger in every shadow is sure to upset a horse.

I'm more of a "let animals enjoy being animals" person. If anyone's getting too giddy, they're separated, but until then I let my lot play together and there's so few problems. The dog's cracked skulls were never a worry - he just had a cantering horse trip over him, bowl him over, then an X ray and a few pain killers. Frankly, a broken leg would have been far worse. He hasn't even got a lump where either crack was.
And he still enjoys running about when they're playing in the field {hug}

I dont have much to do with the horses, as they are Clare's. )t'